Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unable To List On Ebay Unless I Sign Up For Managed Payments

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 2,531Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1404 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   01:07 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While the previous message was being typed, another HipStamp order was received. The dollar value of HipStamp orders is increasing relative to eBay stamp orders. Because HipStamp payments are processed by PayPal and eBay orders are not, it is now straightforward to track HipStamp orders separately.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3719 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   11:58 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Australia is slowly catching up to the roll out of managed funds/afterpay.

So far! Our 2 eBay stores bank accounts do not match what eBay requires. The bank + accountant so far are scratching their heads at each other over eBay's requirements. 1st bank contact treated us as scammers and at the same bank in a different place they told us so.

Now the account wants us (my wife & I)+ bank and an eBay professional are going to be dragged into a conference to sort out a plan concerning our situation.

Have been given a reason and that reason is we look like we are laundering money through our business. 33 years with the bank is no good enough for anything. They also have our house insurance and car insurance for about 33 years as well.They can see all our money trails so nothing is wrong....

From this point we have to start everything from scratch. It is going to take this conference to sort out how this will happen.

We have gone so far on 3x 4 1/2hrs round trips to the bank and back. Bet this is going to cost me big time concerning the conference etc!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1404 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   09:45 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found the process to be quite easy initially, but I used a separate business bank account set up some years ago to keep eBay and stamp bourse funds separate. Later, eBay raised issues about this or that not matching, mostly because of a post office box. After fiddling with the eBay account settings, they went away, at least for now. One advantage of a business account is the possibility of shielding some personal information from eBay.

After I thought about it this morning, I realized, based on past interactions with eBay customer support, that eBay accounts are not secure against access by foreign nationals or compromise by hackers. It is only a matter of time.... I hope that I am wrong about this.
Valued Member
413 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am just starting to get caught up with all this Managed Payments stuff and figuring out what it all means. We aren't yet being dragged in up in Canada yet so the reality hasn't sunk in. But it definitely has me a bit concerned...

In regards to your comment, cfrphoto, what kind of banking information are we needing to supply? I am assuming the usual transit/account/branch numbers. Plus they will have access to our name. Given that government taxation offices have been tracking transactions off Paypal, I am sure this will be somewhat similar with eBay's new system so do we also have to provide anything else such as a SSN/SIN (can't see why??). I guess what I'm really asking is just exactly how much personal and financial information eBay and eBay staff have access to...yikers.

There may be some merit in having a completely separate bank account for all this and the moment funds hit over $100 threshold, transferring that to the personal account.

Also in trying to read and catch up on all this...am I understanding correctly that people IN the MP are being told they can't divulge information to others outside of the MP member forums?? Is it all like a big secret until you're pulled in?

Sorry if some of this has been repeated...it is quite overwhelming trying to get caught up and figure out what the implications are.

I really hope Hipstamp/Delcampe make a mobile app for listings. One of the best features imo has been eBay's app as it allows me to list from my phone very quickly.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
688 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Changes to eBay re free listings, number of listings, and special perks for MP should be read by all stamp sellers:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Annou...a-p/31074844
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29759 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caveat : eBay novice.

Suddenly after using eBay for >10 years, I am buying a packet of stamp hinges, eBay does not allow the purchase to go through,
says something like "supply mastercard number in case this papal payment fails" I cancelled.
I am beginning to dislike all this rubbish.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2709 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   5:18 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish eBay would have increased the number of "free" listings for auctions for those with a store subscription instead of fixed priced listings. I would be happy to give up every fixed priced listing for auction listings.

I presume those with a store under managed payments still receive an insertion credit for sold auction listings for those that went over the monthly allotment of "free" listings.
Edited by Battlestamps - 07/17/2020 5:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3719 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   5:52 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Our sales appear to be very sad at present.

Our norm is around 20 sales per week. So far for this week we have 2 sales only.

Looks like eBay's managed funds is stopping my buyers from buying.

Rod's comment has added that bit of buyer info. Buyers are being stopped from buying. It is just crazy.

Quote:
I am buying a packet of stamp hinges, eBay does not allow the purchase to go through,
says something like "supply mastercard number in case this papal payment fails" I cancelled.

Valued Member
Learn More...
471 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just ordered a FDC on eBay - sale and payment went through with Paypal without a hitch or any request for additional info.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 07/17/2020 6:17 pm
Learn More...
8264 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   6:12 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay stockholders, the people who eBay has a fiduciary responsibility to, like the current eBay vision and direction; eBay stock is at all-time highs as shown below.

eBay is not going to change back to what it once was for our hobby, this handwriting has been on the wall for at least a decade.

If my income was dependent upon philatelic sales I would have spent the last few years putting my time and effort into developing my own website and working toward being unshackled from other venues like eBay. I would want to control my own destiny, unencumbered by dependencies from companies that could care less what my needs were.

But nonetheless, I do not understand how complaining about the state of eBay is productive or how it might change anything.
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
386 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KGV Collector:

If one of our bank officers -and we've been with this bank for over 50 years - tried to pull that sort of @#$% with me, I'd suggest that he/she call the branch manager and/or the regional vice president "for consultation". Otherwise, since the bank doesn't trust us or value our business after 50+ years of business, we can no longer trust them with our money, so please cash out all of our accounts immediately, nothing larger than $20 bills, and definitely not as a cashier's check. While my wife waits here for the cash, I'll run home to get another briefcase and the key to our safe deposit box which we will also want to access and empty. Dust off your resume, Turkey!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
688 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are in managed payments buyers can still use what ever method they want to buy. It has no affect on the buyers ability to purchase.

If you were asked to register for MP and you did not, it may have an affect on buying or selling and eventually your ability to sell period.
Edited by dutchman1948 - 07/17/2020 8:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3719 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi uboatnut

Quote:

If one of our bank officers -and we've been with this bank for over 50 years - tried to pull that sort of @#$% with me, I'd suggest that he/she call the branch manager and/or the regional vice president "for consultation"

Interesting! The issue came from our 1st contact with our bank the business manager person did not believe that such changes had happened concerning eBay. After consulting the branch manager the business manager said"The branch manager and I have not heard about eBay's managed funds and afterpay. If what you say is true then they would know all about it. We suggest you go to a solicitor."They then ended their in person contact with us.

This situation above is stuck in my claw. Am going to throw the kitchen sink at them. Am going to start it off in this conference deal full on. I can make a Porcupine look smooth. Entering into total stupidity at this point........
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1277 Posts
Posted 07/18/2020   08:29 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read the update to the eBay User Agreement and part of the Managed Payment section is shown below (I bolded the parts I feel are particularly onerous)

Quote:
In addition, to the extent permitted by applicable law, we (including our parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and our and their officers, directors, agents and employees) are not liable, and you agree not to hold us responsible, for any damages or losses (including, but not limited to, loss of money, goodwill or reputation, profits, other intangible losses, or any special, indirect, or consequential damages) resulting directly or indirectly from:
the content you provide (directly or indirectly) using our Services;
your use of or your inability to use our Services;
pricing, shipping, format, or other guidance provided by eBay;
delays or disruptions in our Services;
viruses or other malicious software obtained by accessing or linking to our Services;
glitches, bugs, errors, or inaccuracies of any kind in our Services;

damage to your hardware device from the use of any eBay Service;
the content, actions, or inactions of third parties, including items listed using our Services or the destruction of allegedly fake items;
a suspension or other action taken with respect to your account or breach of the Abusing eBay Section above;
the duration or manner in which your listings appear in search results as set out in the Listing Conditions Section above; or
your need to modify practices, content, or behavior, or your loss of or inability to do business, as a result of changes to this User Agreement or our policies.

eBay doesn't take responsibilty for anything?
Learn More...
8264 Posts
Posted 07/18/2020   09:49 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the interest of fairness, here is a 'cut and paste' of the HipStamp User Agreement (identical and obviously lifted from eBay)

Quote:

In addition, to the extent permitted by applicable law, we (including our parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and our and their officers, directors, agents and employees) are not liable, and you agree not to hold us responsible, for any damages or losses (including, but not limited to, loss of money, goodwill or reputation, profits, or other intangible losses or any special, indirect, or consequential damages) resulting directly or indirectly from:

- Your use of or your inability to use our Services;
- pricing, shipping, format, or other guidance provided by Hip eCommerce;
- delays or disruptions in our Services;
- viruses or other malicious software obtained by accessing or linking to our Services;
- glitches, bugs, errors, or inaccuracies of any kind in our Services;
- damage to your hardware device from the use of any Hip eCommerce Service;
- the content, actions, or inactions of third parties, including items listed using our Services or the destruction of allegedly fake items;
- a suspension or other action taken with respect to your account or breach of the Abusing Hip eCommerce Section above;
- the duration or manner in which your listings appear in search results as set out in the Listing Conditions Section above; or
- your need to modify practices, content, or behavior or your loss of or inability to do business, as a result of changes to this User Agreement or our policies.
- Some jurisdictions do not allow the disclaimer of warranties or exclusion of damages, so such disclaimers and exclusions may not apply to you.
- Regardless of the previous paragraphs, if we are found to be liable, our liability to you or to any third party is limited to the greater of the amount of fees in dispute not to exceed the total fees, which you paid to us in the 12 months prior to the action giving rise to the liability, or $100.

https://www.hipstamp.com/terms
Don
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 2,531Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05