Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would Someone Be Kind To Point Me Out To Ebay Links Where I Can Buy A Mint US Collection?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 842Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add niosurfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have experience collecting stamps and I have most stamps from South America. But I would like to start an USA collection, mostly mint stamps. I was looking on eBay for good deals on albums with many stamps so I can start in the right direction. But because I know very little about US stamps, I don't know where to start and what is a good collection to buy.

Disregarding price, so I can learn and later look for good deals myself, would you be so kind to point me out to eBay links, or other links, that you think it is a good US collection to buy to start my US collection?

Thanks!
Send note to Staff
Edited by niosurfer - 07/06/2020 12:58 pm

Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DV75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest that you search eBay for things like "White Ace album", "Minkus album", "Harris Liberty album" if you want to look for moderately priced modern U.S. collections. You may see a lot of results but sorting by Best Match will help. Since you wrote you want "many stamps", this suggestion is for obtaining a lot of common mint stamps at close to face value.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1280 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   5:05 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check out Dutch Country Auctions;

Lot 700 looks nice to me.

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/TS/ts32935.cfm#162

Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Check out Dutch Country Auctions;

Lot 700 looks nice to me.

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/TS/ts32935.cfm#162

Thanks. I registered on the site, started free trial and requested permission to bid. How do I bid now on lot 700 to buy?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Place a bid, and good luck. That auction ends on July 13th or 14th.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4099 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dutch Country will need a little time to check your credit history and references. When approved you will be able to bid on SAN site if registered.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/06/2020 10:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1280 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   9:51 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can also bid in the Live Auction on Stamp Auction Network.

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/auctions.cfm

I think you can buy a collection like this more reasonably at public auction than you can on eBay. I buy from Dutch Country and then resell on eBay for a profit, but never the other way around.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pending bid approval. Let's see if I'm able to place a bid tomorrow. Thank you for all your help!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4099 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not place a bid too soon.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4970 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Auctions - and auctions of this kind of material - come around all the time. It may be worth your following a few first before bidding to get a feel for prices. And the evidence is that prices are relatively high at present as people marooned at home spend the cash that they can't waste on their other leisure interests.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4099 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First two no. Type of collection I had as a kid. The third collection is being sold by pavstamps. He is a fine seller with a large eBay following and commands a very high price. This is the type of material that is purchased from auction houses like Dutch Country in bulk, etc. and resold on eBay. These are good auctions to learn the bidding process and especially what the sellers are all about.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/07/2020 12:13 pm
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

First two no. Type of collection I had as a kid. The third collection is being sold by pavstamps. He is a fine seller with a large eBay following and commands a very high price. This is the type of material that is purchased from auction houses like Dutch Country in bulk, etc. and resold on eBay. These are good auctions to learn the bidding process and especially what the sellers are all about.

Thank you so much for your help, if you need any help with Brazilian stamps let me know, I know everything about them.

Now coming back to US stamps, I check your suggestion below. Is it correct to say that If I buy that third auction, I would have most of the US stamps in mint condition? Excluding of course the super expensive ones?

The album is here => https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Mostly-...203036784374

Edited by niosurfer - 07/07/2020 4:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4970 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if others might coomment on the mounts - they don't look too good.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I wonder if others might coomment on the mounts - they don't look too good.

Wow! I'm assuming it is easy to remove the stamps from those mounts to move them to another album. Big mistake?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1377 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Geoff. Many of those mounts appear stained due to age. Makes me wonder if they are the old Harris Crystal mounts. Some of the older stamps also appear damaged.

There appears to be some nice stuff there, like the $5 1938 presidential and the 1954 $5 Hamilton. However, it impresses me as a beginner collection. I wouldn't pay $520 for it. If I was in the market for such a collection; and I'm not; most I would pay is $200, maybe $225 if I had a chance to see it in person.

Added reply: niosurfer, if those are the old Harris Crystal mounts, you would want to remove the stamps as the mounts eventually tend to damage the stamps. You could store the stamps in a nice stockbook until you decide what sort of new album you want to replace the old Harris album. But, again, I don't think the collection is worth what the seller is asking.
Edited by Climber Steve - 07/07/2020 4:37 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 842Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05