Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 Chicagopex Canceled

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 729Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4851 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   09:31 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I worded that poorly. I didn't mean to imply that hospitalizations weren't increasing in certain areas, but that the percentage of diagnosed cases requiring hospitalization is lower now than at the outset, but that could be due to the fact that testing is more readily available, so it's not just symptomatic or high-risk people being tested.

Also, as the information in that link bears out, the fluctuation in cases and hospitalizations varies greatly by location.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by revenuecollector - 07/08/2020 09:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I work in a county hospital and I can confirm that our cases are increasing. The severity may be slightly decreasing, but the net effect is just as many deaths as any other time. I think we are improving on how we manage and treat our patients, including sending many home to convalescence. I'm hoping that a better treatment / cure comes soon.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6860 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would think that most of us are hoping for that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6860 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with shows of course is that people come from everywhere to come to them. So the fact that some areas are more hard hit then others does not really matter; there will be visitors from those areas at a show of any real size.
Learn More...
8277 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   09:49 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my area all elective surgeries and procedures were put off for 3 months. Now that everyone is flooding back into the hospitals they are testing folks. So even if you are going into the hospital for a broken leg and you test positive for the COVID antibody you are listed as a COVID hospitalization.

I am testing myself every 10 days as part of a study. In the beginning they enrolled 18,000 people in NC but had not yet distributed the test fixtures and kits. Then over a short 3 week period the kits all were shipped. Not surprisingly the number of reported COVID cases took a huge uptick in my state reflecting the new data. The media jumped in this without telling anyone why the state showed this 'surge'.

I find it very hard to differentiate where the medical theater ends and the facts start.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6860 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those people were infected whether the tests showed it or not. And they could infect others. So the reason for the uptick is much less important then the information gained. So simply calling it "medical theater" diminishes it's importance.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4639 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone will be infected sooner or later. Many likely already have been and do not even know it. Does anyone actually believe that they will not be exposed to the virus?
Learn More...
8277 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   11:12 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Those people were infected whether the tests showed it or not...

The antibody tests looks for both immunoglobulin G and immunoglobulin M. A positive test for immunoglobulin M means that you have an active case of COVID while a positive result for immunoglobulin G means that you previously had COVID in the past that is no longer active. Testing for a past infection and then listing it as a 'surge' is not intellectually honest.

I did NOT 'simply call it medical theater', you misread what I wrote. In my opinion it would be na´ve to think that this pandemic has not been weaponized and is a political football. The medical misinformation that occurred by the health officials was bad enough but once the two 'tribes' and the media joined in it has become intolerable. I trust none of the media reporting and very little of the medical information that is currently being promoted.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6860 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course it's a political football, almost everything of any real impact becomes one almost immediately. If an enormous human tragedy such as the holocaust can quickly become one, then anything can.
Learn More...
8277 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   12:34 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That was the point I was making...others in this thread have listed a number of reasons for the show cancellation. In my opinion, the lack of trust in much of what is being promoted in the court of public opinion makes decisions like whether or not to hold a show in the fall much more difficult.

A virus, by its very nature, is a hard thing for experts to understand, predict, and eventually control. But from the very beginning when the Chinese Communist Party spun critical information that could have allowed this to be contained through today the small amount of factual information and science has been obscured by spun misinformation. Politicians are mostly interested in self preservation and not public service. As such, they are dialed into public opinion. And public opinion is controlled by the media and tech companies.

I do not envy the folks who have to make stamp shows and event decisions in this environment.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4970 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whether you run a show later this year rather depends on how your country has managed the response over the last few months. If one were running a local show in New Zealand, where things have been handled well, you could be pretty confident. If you were doing so in Britain or the US, where things have been handled - at a national level - ineptly (information about the virus was available in early/mid-January, followed by two months of thumb-twiddling here), you'd act on the safe side and cancel, as the organisers of this Autumn's London Stamp Exhibition have done.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 729Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05