Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Someone Knowledgeable Of US Stamps Analyze That Collection For Me?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 402Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add niosurfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Without taking price into account (it is an auction so price will be high I understand that), can you give me your opinion about these collections? I'm looking to start a mint US collection. I have philately experience, I collect South America and have most of their stamps, but I know nothing about US stamps. I would like to buy a US collection to start on the right track for a professional quality collection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-much-MI...LH_Auction=1

https://www.sunphilate.com/image/j14ub.html

Thanks!
Send note to Staff
Edited by niosurfer - 07/07/2020 10:36 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first link didn't work for me.

The second link is troubling in the number of items that have some sort of brown tape holding the sides or bottom. This could bleed through and be stamp damage (mold?). I would stay away from this one.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

The first link didn't work for me.

Fixed! Thanks!

Quote:

The second link is troubling in the number of items that have some sort of brown tape holding the sides or bottom. This could bleed through and be stamp damage (mold?). I would stay away from this one.

Thank you!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4635 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be patient and look at auctions that come up regularly. Here is a link to a recent Modern Stamps auction with a collection of MNH US that had $273 in face value. It went for $170 with no commission. You can find many like this if you bide your time. Scroll down to lot 105:

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/D/d4846.cfm#14
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Be patient and look at auctions that come up regularly. Here is a link to a recent Modern Stamps auction with a collection of MNH US that had $273 in face value. It went for $170 with no commission. You can find many like this if you bide your time. Scroll down to lot 105:

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/D/d4846.cfm#14

That looks great and thanks for sharing. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for them to approve me to bid. When that's done I'll start exploring the site. Right now I can't do much there, so my only option is eBay.

I hope I'm able to learn how to use this site, but it looks very user unfriendly. I would rather pay more at eBay. My main concern now is not paying more than I could have paid, but getting a bad set of stamps.

Edited by niosurfer - 07/07/2020 11:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4970 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   01:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given this and your other threads, could I suggest that you step back for a moment, and first decide which US album or albums you'd prefer to use? There are threads here that compare the various options. You should then be able to find an album in good condition, with stamps in good condition, at auction. There is no shortage of decent, single-country US collections in good quality albums. Having your money burn a hole in your pocket, and pressing "buy" on an average lot with condition issues is likely to lead to later regrets - as most of us know.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mystic Hingeless. I can't prepare mounts myself.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
345 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you decided what period you want to collect? Do you want to collect all the way to the present day? Or would you be happy assigning yourself an end date of some sort, say 2000 or 2005? There are quite a few US collectors in the forum who end their collections about then, when US stamp issues got too mickey mouse for them.

Your answer here might help focus on the particular characteristics you are looking for in an album lot or accumulation (or two) that you can take over and use as the foundation of your own collection.

Many of the album lots on eBay for US mint run up to the period of late 60s to 1980 or so. A number do continue after say 1985, but not nearly as many as those which end sometime about or before 1980-85. So if you want to get going sooner, rather than later on your collection, there are quite a few pre 1980 collections that are viable as cost effective ways to found a collection intended to run to say 1990 or even 2000.

But if you want to collect all the way to the present day, there are fewer such lots on eBay that run to say 2015 or even 2010, and the prices reflect the much higher face values involved. For this, you will need to be patient and then bid decisively to get the lot you really want.

I suspect you will want to buy the Mystic hingeless albums now from Mystic to suit your collecting period and end point. Doesn't look as though these are on eBay in any real number at all. You would then be transferring from the source album into yours, identifying the stamps as you go (you should re-confirm the ids made in the source collection).

Hope this helps.
Edited by jleb1979 - 07/08/2020 09:54 am
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply. I will stop in the 80's. So mystic Volumes I, II and III is probably what I will be acquiring.

I know, I'm spending a lot of money in stamps. But better than leaving it to the kids so that they will spend with God knows what.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 402Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05