Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There A Hingeless US Stamp Album With Descriptions For At Least The Commemorative Stamps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 434Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add niosurfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm looking for a comprehensive US stamp album with not just the commemorative stamps, but all stamps. However I would also like at least the commemorative stamps to have descriptions, like the album page below.

What albums should I look for that would have that? What is the name of the album in the picture below? This album only have the commemoratives, correct? If possible I would like an album similar to the one below but with all stamps, not just the commemoratives.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4096 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
White Ace. Not hingeless.

https://www.mdstamp.com/index.php?m...cPath=94_309

http://goscf.com/t/64271

Check out Mystic Albums

http://goscf.com/t/34293

Check out search function above on SCF for lots more info.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/07/2020 11:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1167 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the most part, White Ace kept commemorative & "regular" (definitive) issues in separate albums. Unfortunately, White Ace also went out of business a year or two ago. At the last minute, Alco Distributors of Marion, Ohio did purchase the rights to continue publishing the albums. But, as far as I know, they have yet to release any new supplements. Another company has produced some "White Ace" look-alike (LAWA) supplements that you can find at iHobb.com. I'm not sure of the legal ramifications of two different companies being involved in the production of "White Ace" album supplements. And yes, White Ace never produced a hingeless version of their albums.
Edited by JLLebbert - 07/07/2020 11:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   12:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TNJed to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could try Liberty Stamp Albums.
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   05:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DV75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Hingeless" stamp albums usually means albums that come with mounts already attached to the page. I think you mean albums where you can place stamps in mounts and attach them the page as shown in your picture of a White Ace page.

The stamp albums currently available to my knowledge that include both commemoratives with descriptions and definitives (without detailed descriptions) are:

Scott Minuteman Stamp Album
H.E. Harris Liberty Stamp Album
Mystic Heirloom Stamp Album

I haven't seen the Mystic album in person but from pictures it looks like the descriptions are on the back of the page opposite the stamps, not under the stamps themselves.

White Ace and Minkus used to sell albums with descriptions of commemoratives but you can't buy a full album of them anymore although Minkus's owner still sells supplements and White Ace's new owner may start selling supplements again. Sometimes you can buy full unused albums on eBay.

The Scott Minuteman Album has the advantage of using Scott catalog numbers for each stamp on the pages.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2802 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mystic does put a lot of detail on the left side and includes Scott numbers. Mystic is 8 1/2 x 11 page size while Mystic and Harris use larger non-standard pages. They make a version that includes mounts that is printed on heavier paper and much more expensive.

When someone says they want hingeless, I assume they want mounts included. Harris and Scott Minuteman do not have that option. I go "hingelesz" but cut my own mounts.
Al
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DV75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you don't want to use mounts you can sometimes find used White Ace pages on eBay in good condition where the stamps have been removed but the black Showgard style mounts remain. Then you can just insert the stamps into the mounts as you acquire them but on the downside they don't look great without stamps.
Valued Member
Learn More...
472 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am showing examples of the Mystic American Heirloom Hingeless pages for both commemmoratives and regular issue stamps. When you lay the album flat, the descriptions are on the left hand page (the back of the page with the previous set of stamps) with the stamps on the right. These show actual stamps obviously; the underlying images on the page are not in color. The printing on the pages is clear; it's my inadequate scanner that is making the printing look rough.

I use these albums for my remaining collection of more modern U.S. stamps since I like their layout, the information provided about the stamps, and the fact that they show Scott numbers. As I have noted elsewhere, my main concern is that the pages in an album tend to start curling a bit as they are loaded up with stamps.

Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 07/08/2020 11:49 am
Valued Member
9 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   01:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tadas to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can heartily recommend the Mystic Heirloom albums, in either the hingeless or regular forms. I'd moved my (fairly good for a kid) childhood collection from a Harris Liberty to a Scott National during a short-lived collecting revival in the 1980s. I got back in for good in 1998, and by about 10 years ago, everything I needed cost a skazillion dollars even as seconds. My solution was to pay $40 plus shipping to Mystic and start over again.It was a joy! The pages are beautifully laid out, the info on the facing page is well-written, and in general, it's a high quality product. I think they're now up to $59 for the set.

Not immediately relevant, but it may have influenced how I reacted to the Mystic albums - At age 54, it was a blast to be concerned about *which* Champions of Liberty I still needed. The last time I had that problem, I was 8.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1781 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Niosurfer,

There are many alternatives but I would go with Oracle's suggestion.

Jack Kelley
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 434Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05