Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Assistance Requested: Single Authority On Lindbergh Cam & Fam Covers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 261Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
13 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mpobe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning,
I am just starting out with these. Before I get 300 covers I have no need for can someone assist me with this request? Maybe a volume or two showing examples, postmarks etc.
I am familiar with Aerodacious.com
Thank you
Mike
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1358 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The standard authority on CAM and FAM covers is the "American Air Mail Catalog." This is a multivolume set that has multiple editions, not all of them complete. I think the last complete edition was the 5th Edition. You might be able to find a used set on eBay or through the used book sellers that use Amazon. You don't need all the volumes if your interest is only in CAM and FAM covers, and an older earlier version could work just as well. I am not at home, so I cannot look at my copy of the 5th Edition to tell you which volumes cover CAM and FAM. Maybe somebody else will chime in. But that is definitely what you should be looking for.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
357 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mpobe:

Check out this thread for a summary of the contents of the different AAMS volumes in Editions 4, 5, 6, and 7. You have to scroll down a bit.

http://goscf.com/t/62304

Mike
Edited by mml1942 - 07/08/2020 12:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1067 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the wonderful collecting field of air mail covers! The history behind these airlines and military aircraft that flew these is colorful and historically important. You can focus very narrowly from a handful of covers or go wider and the number of covers can become almost limitless or be anywhere in between. If your initial interest is Lindbergh, Foreign Air Mail Contract routes (FAMS) and Contract Air Mail Routes (CAMs) the best reference books for you will be the American Air Mail Catalogs. Also, you really will want to joining the American Air Mail Society where you can interact with its members who include "the" experts who write and update the catalogs along with all of the others who enjoy collecting first flight covers of all kinds. And as one additional benefit of being a member you get their monthly Air Post Journal which is a small magazine that focuses on stories about airmail covers. And you also get member discounts on buying the catalogs, or you can pick up some used ones on eBay. These catalogs are prepared and edited by members who are the experts on given areas of collecting and it can take a number of years for a new edition to be produced with one new Volume coming out every few years. We are currently in the middle of creating the Seventh Edition and so far the first three Volumes have been produced. Not all collecting areas are included in every Edition so for some things you may need to reach back to the Sixth or even Fifth Editions to find a Volume with the area in which you are interested. For example, something like war time propaganda leaflets from WW 1, WW 2, Korea, Vietnam and other wars that were dropped by air are in the Fifth Edition but not in any of the newer editions yet. The same with Zeppelin flight covers. Currently, the newest update on FAM covers is in the Sixth Edition, Volume 3 (which also includes Canal Zone first flights and Alaska first flights). There is a Lindbergh specific section but the newest one of that section is in the Fifth Edition, Volume 3. CAMs are being reorganized into those that are pre-1934 and those that are post 1934. The reason for the break in that year is that is when the US government became so upset with the contracts that they decided to cancel all of the CAM contracts and have the US Army step in an fly the mail. The Army was not prepared and so after only a couple of months of Army flights the Post Office reorganized the airmail routes and re-competed the contracts to fly them. So because there was significant difference between the pre and post 1934 dust-up the Catalogs are finally being reorganized to reflect the differences and the pre-1934 routes are keeping their designation as CAM while the post 1934 versions are being called AM routes. These new and improved Catalog listing for what had originally been called CAMs are found as follows: The pre-1934 CAMs are in Volume 1 of the Seventh Edition. The first half of the post -1934 AMs are in the Seventh Edition, Volume 3. When the new Volume 4 of the Seventh Edition is issued it will include the second half of the AM listings. And if you are interested in those short-term US Army flown mail routes that temporarily filled in between the two, those are all listed in the Fifth Edition, Volume 1 under the heading Army Emergency Flights.

Here is the website where you can not only join the American Air Mail Society but also access super information such as their archive of Air Post Journals going back to 1929 and other great information: https://www.americanairmailsociety.org/
Pillar Of The Community
1358 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Kimo, for chiming in. I was hoping you would!

I was unaware of the new distinction between CAM and AM, but my interest in the material is nowhere near as broad as yours. I do understand the logic of 1934 as the pivotal year. One of these days, I hope to come across a cover carried in Alaska on the Army's "Mass Flight" of B-10s from Washington, DC, to Alaska and back that year. I do have an event cover postmarked in DC at the start of the flight; in several years of watching eBay, it is the only event cover for that flight I have ever seen. I also know there are a couple of flown covers carried on one or two of the flights in Alaska, but they've never come up for auction in my time.

Basil
Edited by blcjr - 07/08/2020 7:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1067 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Basil. If you are intersted in Alaska flights in general there is a nice section in the AAMC on Alaska flights in the Fifth Edition, Volume 5. Also, while I do not have it myself so I cannot say exactly what it includes, the new Seventh Edition, Volume 2 is entirely on polar flights.
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   06:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mpobe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great info. Thank you.
I just picked up a complete 4th Edition with protected dust-jackets on eBay. I will start with this.
I appreciate you all taking the time.

mike
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 261Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05