Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has Anyone Ever Met A Re-Perfer?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,065Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
947 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eyesonwall, regarding those dealers - If they were members of any of the stamp associations or organizations and were implicit in these types of conduct they should have been challanged as being unethical. We depend on their honesty and integrity when purchasing from them. Otherwise the associations are meaningless and wothless too!

In my opinion - Whether its a $1.00 stamp to a $1000. item being purchased, it would be totally wrong for them to sell it as somthing other than what it really is without disclosure of any changes made. If there was a blackliat of companies out there that did these types of operations; I for one would not purchase anything from them.

Mike
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by No1philatelist - 07/08/2020 10:44 pm
Valued Member
413 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
...sooo I think I'm just going to purposely start collecting single-straight-edge stamps a stamps with certs that already identify it as re-perfed lol. At least I know what I've got...

In all seriousness though...I feel for those of you trying to fill the album gaps with legit and high-end stamps. It is frustrating forking out good dough to have a cert over-turned or later realize it isn't what it should be. I applaud those of you with the extensive knowledge to see the re-perfs - this forum has an incredible wealth of knowledge.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1316 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Its not like they walk around a show and introduce themselves to everyone as a reperfer.

No, but they apparently do walk around shows offering their services to certain people. Many years ago I was sitting at a fairly prominent dealer's table at NAPEX when a guy came wandering up and just kind of looked at the dealer and raised his eyebrows. The dealer waved him off and told me afterward that this was a well-known "stamp doctor" who was basically asking, "Want me to work on anything?"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1404 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   1:27 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fake perforations have been a problem since the 1930s if not before. The American Philatelic Society was able to shut down an operation making fake flat plate coils in the 1930s. After Richard Kiusalas carefully measured US perforations and produced the US Specialty gauge in 1965, newer stroke perforating machines for the stamp alteration trade were more accurate. I have examples of fake perforations in the reference collection received from Kiusalas when I met him in the 1960s. Soon after eBay started, an individual from upstate New York would buy straight edges or proofs on eBay and offer them a couple of weeks later under a different account with newly added fake perforations. Another seller from coastal Southern California was found to buying quantities of unused no gum stamps and selling only "never hinged" stamps. While it is more difficult to trace eBay sellers who create their own (DIY) fakes, there is no reason to believe that the practice has stopped.
Valued Member
Learn More...
471 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I noted above, my initial emotional reaction to some of my stamps being identified as reperfed was to wonder if the "experts" were more obsessed (admittedly strong word) with this particular type of fault these days. Part of the basis for this is that every one of these stamps were bought at auction from the usual well-known firms without so much as a whisper about being reperfed. Now they are called out upon being consigned. Thus I wonder - are dealer/auction houses now being more meticulous about trying to identify faults like this or is it just a question of randomness or probability - the more times a stamp is examined by different eyes, the more likely a fault like reperfing is going to be identified.

I will note that the prices I paid for these stamps were generally below what one might expect, so it's possible that fellow bidders more experienced than I were seeing problems despite no mention of such in the lot descriptions.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 07/09/2020 2:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3288 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since most line perforated U.S. stamps were perforted by rotary perforating machines that used rotary perforating wheels, the only such perforator that one can get one's hands on is the Rosback Pony perforator. This perforator only perforates 12.5 per 2 cm. Thus, it appears that fake perforations are made by stroke perforators.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2284 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   10:26 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NY - would the "individual" actually be a pair of relatives?
and So Cal - last name ends in Y?
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
NY - would the "individual" actually be a pair of relatives?
and So Cal - last name ends in Y?

Hahaha!!! Yep, I would bet my bottom dollar that you nailed it (them)!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2284 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   8:11 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Large supplies of these stamps, postage really, were "improved" for promotional sales to non-collectors and for overseas markets. This included modern U.S. combination press issues from the 1980s as well. There were several competing dealers in that market in the 1980s & 1990s"

eagle - The big advertisers for buying promotional material were as I recall Markest and Gitner. Is this correct?
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eagle79 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eyeonwall - In the 1980s & 1990s there were dozens of buylists for promotional stamps, topicals mostly, from dozens of dealers, not just the couple you mentioned. Linn's Stamp News was very much larger than today's version and the 'Stamps Wanted' section of the classified section was a couple pages long. I wrote full page wantlists for publication there. Scores of buyers hunted for promotional material to supply the demand from these dealers. Just recall the variety of subscription based offers for patriotic folders, covers & FDCs. These had wantlists backing them for 1000s of the same stamp. Several 'collectors societies' existed for just this purpose in the U.S. & overseas. Straight edge copies could be 'improved' to help meet this demand on very demanding schedules. It was a very small part of the overall wholesale stamp market.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,065Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05