Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bought US Collection For $425 On Ebay To Start Collection. Can You Give Your Experienced Opinion?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,084Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
125 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We all have to start somewhere. As others have said, you now have the backbone of a collection. Dig into it and study what you have. Suspect you'll have some surprises along the way, both good and bad, which is not only expected but also how you'll be able to learn more. One of the things I've learned on SCF is that one of the challenging parts of collecting is that one often has to examine many examples of same issue, sometimes repeatedly over time, to really understand all the possible varieties that exist in the wild. While it is certainly possible that with experience you could have gotten something similar for less, that knowledge isn't free and is moot at this point anyhow. Look forward and enjoy what you have!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting comments. Most comments are from PROFESSIONAL people and not the average collector. Buy what you want because you can't take it with you. For a first time venture in US stamps I think you will have loads of fun and enjoyment.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
299 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So I did an approximation of the mint stamps. There are about 1500 of them with a face value of about $250. Now we all know that you can't sell these stamps for face value, but unless you are willing to purchase a lot of duplicates you can't buy these stamps at face value either. If one were to go to Subway Stamps or Golden Valley Stamps you would pay at least twice face value, with a minimum of probably $.20 per stamp, which would put the "value" of the collection at over $500, so in my opinion you got a good but not great deal.

You have now acquired the start to a nice US collection and I use the word "acquired" on purpose, because now the collecting starts and you will have to decide on what sort of collection you will have and each purchase will be a decision of price versus quality. I personally collect US 20th century (plus the Columbians), mint with centering Fine-VF. I stay away from the rarefied atmosphere of 19th century Americana and the XF and above, just too rich for my wallet.

Many of the US collectors on this site acquired a large percentage of these stamps at face value by going to the post office every week or so. When we would forget we would miss out on items like 1623c and have to get them later for a much higher price

At the end of the day the value of anything on eBay is a dollar more than the third place bidder was willing to pay.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
378 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you are going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it. But I am with rogdcam on this one.
I would have expected at this price, for you to get the same stamps in a pair of nice quality used Lighthouse albums, not that rag tag thing.

The other problem I have seen with albums like this, is that these albums usually have some percentage of mounts licked on both sides which are torturous to get stamps out of. At below face value, that makes many of the stamps not worth the time to eject. It turns into performing surgery to save $.06

Personally I would undo the deal if possible. For $400 you are better served in getting, either better stamps and a cheap binder, or just a cleaner lot. Try not to get into bidding wars, unless you have knowledge that the contents are mis-priced.

Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DV75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1500 different stamps with a face value of $250 is not bad at all and there were some premium items like the Washington Bicentennials and Famous Americans sets. Sometimes beginner collections don't get any respect because they have inexpensive stamps but it's fun as a beginner to mount over a thousand mint stamps.
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We all started somewhere. I don't see anything wrong with starting with this collection. The rag tag album was a known commodity during the bidding - I know I buy collections in beat-up albums and have every intention of putting the stamps in MY album. Or, I intend to get another album, more to my liking. Either way, many collections are bought with no intention of keeping the album. That's part of collecting. I've been at it for 50 years, and I would not buy this particular collection, but I think it is a great start for a beginner. Of course most of the stamps are 'face' - this is a great way to get that type of material. There are 1500-ish fewer stamps that you have to get at 2x face or 25c, whichever is less. There are also some better-than-face stamps throughout. Some of the earlies look a little rough, but that's how they come in this type of collection.

Some guys like cars and spend $1000's on a classic and spend weekends/evenings working in the garage. Others like fishing, and spend $100's/$1000's on rods/reels/boats/permits/camping gear/etc. Hobbies cost $$$. You spent a few $100, which is a modest amount for the amount of fun you can have with this. Enjoy it, and don't let the $$$ aspect of it eat you up. Monetarily, I don't think it is a bad deal - you could done better, but you coulda done a LOT worse - it looks like a nice honest starter collection. Weigh that against the joy you can get, and it is a no brainer. In the end, you only have to please yourself. Not the guys on this forum.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate all the great comments. I bought the mystic hingeless album for this collection. I agree, part of the fun is to transfer to a new album and organize it your own way.

I just understand it is a long road. Today if you show me any Brazilian stamp I can know immediately what it is about and its approximate catalog value. Maybe someday I'll be able to do the same with US stamps?

I heard that this book can be a shortcut and teach me a lot about US stamps saving me years of hands-on experience. Do you agree or have you heard of this book?

Learn More...
8267 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   12:00 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a wealth of information on Stamp Smarter, literally thousands of pages for US stamps which are all freely available to everyone.
http://stampsmarter.com/1847usa/1847Home.html
http://stampsmarter.com/
Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,084Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05