Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postage Dues With South Omaha, Nebraska Precancels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 377Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add nadir1969 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First post by a new member who collects Official, Postage Due, and plate varieties.

In looking at J43 and J44 on the PF and Siegel sites, I find a curiously large number of "SOUTH OMAHA, NEBR." cancellations, including a few large pristine blocks. The descriptions of these stamps sometimes note that they are precancels, but several also note that they are full OG. The postmarks cover a wide range of years.

Is it possible these stamps were used for a different purpose, maybe as revenues or as receipts?

All this begs the question why there are so many cancellations from an obscure post office? Maybe because South Omaha turns out to be the headquarters for the four largest meatpacking companies in the country in the late 1890s.

So, if these are precancels and make up a large percentage of the "used" copies out there, then copies with actual postmarks are considerably more scarce.

Thoughts?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Without being able to see them ( you can post a link ) I would think you are correct - used as a receipt for business mail

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw several of those blocks in a large lot a few years back. Postage dues were often precancelled, since they were only used to collect money due and did not provide a future service. Apparently there were a number of remainders left which found there way into the philatelic market.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Below is a block of four precanceled O79 15c Treasury stamps that must have had a similar usage.

United States
4 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nadir1969 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to work on attaching an image, but the Siegel Power Search for J44 used is representative

.https://siegelauctions.com/lot_grd..../2020&symbol[]=All&lotclass=All&syear=All&pfoper=All&pseoper=All&pfgrade=&psegrade=&gandor=or&keyword=&catselect=eq&pscolumn=default&pssortby=&sortord=DESC&photo=&calledfrom=lkp&nwwin=qd6aqe

Also, the most recent five listings for used J43 and the most recent three listings for J44 on PF all have South Omaha, Nebr precancels.

It appears that using high-value postage dues on actual mail (or packages) was the exception, not the rule, during the double-line watermark era.

J58, the only postage due that has a Scott listing for a precancel, shows a large $ difference. I would think the same might apply for J43 and J44, where "used" copies are commonly NH.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nadir1969

Took me a few days but here is an unusual postage due cover. Yep, all registration fees were suppose be paid at the time of mailing. Apparently, they pitched this item into the mail stream at a drop box along with other first class mail. When the Cincinnati, Ohio main post office was bagging up mail to go to Columbus an alert postal employee (more common then that today) caught the notation on the envelope and sent it on postage due rather than holding it for a response from its sender and payment of the eighteen cents due.

The real moral of this story is how much more valuable these three rather common postage due stamps are today because they are still on cover. Do you have any cover images of unusual PD stamps to share?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2838 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When the Cincinnati, Ohio main post office was bagging up mail to go to Columbus an alert postal employee (more common then that today) caught the notation on the envelope and sent it on postage due

Russ, I would quibble with this part of your interpretation ... consider an expanded version instead ... The collected box mail was manually faced and sent through a canceling machine. A clerk then sorted the stacks of canceled mail into various destination pigeonholes - and at that point the registry intent of the sender was discovered. The mail piece immediately went to the registry division (which had priority over all other postal or rate facets of the cover). Once secure within the registry division, they assessed the underpaid aspects and sent it onward within the registry system.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In that case wouldn't it have a "found in ordinary mail" auxiliary marking?
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments.

The lack of a found in ordinary mail notation is mystifying to me, too. Given the "Drop From Mailing Division" mark and the Cincinnati Registered markings on the back side it was probably discovered late in the processing steps before it left Cincinnati and expedited along its way as best they could under the circumstances. The question is what options were available to the postal employee at the point this processing error was found?

Does the handling requirements for first class postage due mail provide any useful clues? What does it say about this technically inappropriate use of postage due stamps on unpaid registered mail?

Hopefully, someone can provide more incite and other examples. This cover is the most blatant example I have seen so far of short paid registered mail being delivered to its addressee registered.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For John Becker and all,

Looking for other usages of the "Dropped From Mailing Division" mark on cover, etc. Is it commonly used on mail sent by the mailing division other than out the door to the addressee post office?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2838 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The question is what options were available to the postal employee at the point this processing error was found?

Only one option. Common sense would dictate that this "found" mail would immediately be transferred to the secure confines of the registry department.

As this moment, I don't see any operational difference between "Found loose in ordinary mail" and "drop from mailing division", other than perhaps to note where it was discovered (before vs after the canceling machine operations?). With the close Ohio geography and mail volume, the Cincinnati sorting clerk would logically have a pigeon hole for Columbus, thus only seen/sorted once in Cincinnati after canceling and transferred to registry at that time.

The regulations for handling short-paid registered mail is clearly stated in the 1924 PL&R, section 983, in part, "When domestic registered mail is received for delivery to the addressee or restoration to the sender, and the postage and registry fee have not been fully prepaid, the postmaster shall collect the deficiency upon delivery."
United States
4 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nadir1969 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to South Omaha, Nebraska--not being an expert on how postage due stamps were actually applied, it puzzles me that there are so many precanceled blocks, many NH. Could the South Omaha post office have used them as a convenience for Swift, Armour, and the other meat packers with major facilities there, where they just precanceled sheets of the 30 and 50 values and then doled them out as receipts for mail (possibly registered) that came in short paid? Then, to delve into a bit of fiction, the trove of stamps could all have been consolidated into a single file at the meat packer's office that was later liberated. Otherwise, these stamps would have had to have been sold over the counter, I suppose. Note that the precancel dates span a number of years. (Forgive my ignorance.)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many post offices precancelled various values of postage due stamps, it saved time and made life a bit easier. Their convenience.
United States
4 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nadir1969 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So I assume each post office could design and apply its own precancel. Here's a NY String of Pearls that is NH and another that has a CDS.

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 377Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05