Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postage Dues 1930 Value??

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 240Next Topic  
Valued Member
11 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add waelshami to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluejay2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first step to valuation is identification. Typically this can be done with a catalogue available at many public libraries.

Looking in my "SCOTT Specialize Catalogue of U.S.Stamps and Covers," I would say these stamps are:

• 1/2 SCOTT # J69 or J79 (precise identification is based upon perforation measurement)

• 1 SCOTT # J70 or J80 (precise identification is based upon perforation measurement)

• 2 SCOTT # J71 or J81 (precise identification is based upon perforation measurement)

• 3 SCOTT # J72 or J82 (precise identification is based upon perforation measurement)

• 5 SCOTT # J73 or J83 (precise identification is based upon perforation measurement)

In my personal experience, the J80 series is readily available in mass surplus. Personally, I have not seen many of the J70 series. I will not quote values due to the age of my catalogue.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
11 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waelshami to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bluejay2 Thanx
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add postagedueguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 2 and 5 cent are J81 and J83 respectively. The others are most likely J79, J80, and J82. J69 - J78 were printed on the flat plate press and J79 - J87 was printed on the rotary press. J69 - J78 are perforated 11x11 and J79 - J87 are 11x10. You'll need to check.

J71 plate block with plate number 20218
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluejay2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should have mentioned the resource at StampSmarter.com, specifically the identification tool 1847usa: http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa/1847Home.html

Within the 1847usa identifier, this page references the depicted stamps. http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa...Due1930.html
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 240Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05