Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

This US Collection Will Probably Hit $1000 On This Auction. Can Any Knowledgable Person Explain Why?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 625Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add niosurfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Besides the hingeless album, what makes this collection so valuable?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Amazing...143647858840

Just trying to learn from the experienced people in this forum.

Thanks!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4797 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
690 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He supposedly has a very large following and gets very high prices for his stuff.

However due to a past experience, I will never buy from him again.

A supposed buyer backed out of the high bid and he tried to sell it to me at one increment below the cancelled bid instead of 1 above the last good bid.

I refuse to deal with game players of which there are far too many out there selling.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Nothing

So people buying are just inexperienced like me? :)

Quote:

He supposedly has a very large following and gets very high prices for his stuff.

However due to a past experience, I will never buy from him again.

A supposed buyer backed out of the high bid and he tried to sell it to me at one increment below the cancelled bid instead of 1 above the last good bid.

I refuse to deal with game players of which there are far too many out there selling.

Thanks for sharing
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6960 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is enough here to make it a $350-$500 lot at auction depending on the condition of the better material. There is enough postage that a dealer could probably make about half of that back by pulling it and turning it into a lot. A collector who needs a lot of the better material did OK but not great IF the condition warrants it.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
495 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those Lighthouse hingeless albums with binders retail for around $320 each. Take that $600 off the price and you have $310. I realize that these are used and that one can get those albums cheaper. The stamps appear to be better than the ones in the album niosurfer bought earlier.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bidders are influenced by several factors at play with this lot:
for one thing, the quality of album adds quite a bit as wkusau notes.

Also, when you get up into the 1930s, a number of individual mint stamps appear to be well centered and their perforations look clear and neat, so there is likely a presumption developed on the part of bidders that what looks mint is in really good shape and NH. There is a great deal of neatness about the whole of what is shown. So the bidders might be looking at the C3 and C18 and thinking that's $150 in value right there.

But if I might read into Rogdcam's very economical assessment, we are not seeing blockbuster material in this album lot. Are there Columbians? Trans-Mississippis? a 630 souvenir sheet? Some really nice Washington Franklins and such - I'm not seeing them.
Edited by jleb1979 - 07/09/2020 7:55 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
320 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like others have said, it looks to be the albums. I don't see anything that is special. Not trying to be judgmental, but I wouldn't put the C3 in my collection and it is difficult from the photograph to tell the quality of C4-6.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but what is C3, and C4-C6 ?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4908 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   11:39 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a nice clean starter collection sold by an established seller with a large following. The value is in the albums and the face value of the mint postage. You're paying for quantity of stamps here, not for any key items or scarcity.

Quote:
Those Lighthouse hingeless albums with binders retail for around $320 each. Take that $600 off the price and you have $310.

I would be wary of this sort of thinking. Subtracting full retail for a brand new album or set of albums to arrive at what you are paying for the stamps is a false valuation, IMO. Yes those albums may retail for that brand new, but you can find them significantly lower on the second hand market. I would value them at what a clean set of used albums would cost, not the new retail cost, because you are buying used, albeit very clean, albums.

Also, it's uncertain whether the set includes the pages for stamps prior to 1908.

Depending on what the total face adds up to, this is likely an ok purchase, but I wouldn't call it a bargain.

That said, if it gets you a nice head start on a U.S. collection, you've filled most of the easy spots. Enjoy!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4137 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The above (C3,C4-6) are the letter and number designations of U.S. Airpost Stamps as listed in the Scott Catalogue of U.S. Postage Stamps and Covers.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/11/2020 11:44 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 625Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05