Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bill Langs Passed Away

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 225 / Views: 12,001Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7101 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But you already updated that fact
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
375var - ribbed paper old cert. I exchanged messages about this one last week via HipStamp. Listed for something like $1,200. Given that there are no ribbed stamps this late, looks like Kelleher is, again, taking over Langs descriptions. Makes for rapid auctions and lots of extensions.

This auction looks a lot like the last one - more ho hum material.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4984 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   10:12 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the 2 auctions thus far have been a steaming pile of MEH for me personally.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
584 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   10:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The number of reperforated stamps in this send sale is truly astounding. Virtually all of the 1861-66 stamps have flaws with the majority being reperforated as well.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe Kelleher's strategy is push the junk first.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4051 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"... Maybe Kelleher's strategy is push the junk first ..."

Hmm. Let's consider these two scenarios:

1) Junk first. Empty peoples' wallets, then put out the stuff that might trigger bidding wars & over-the-top returns amongst the bidders who have not gotten bored & drifted off.

2) Gems first. Trigger bidding wars & over-the-top returns, then watch while the Big Buyers pass on the dross, and the little guys (attracted by the action & excitement) stick around to pick up a bargain or two.

I'd go with #2, but that's me.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who knows folks can re-write these scenarios to make #1 look like the better bet)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5027 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Langs was what Langs was. There is no "secret stash" of Gross level stuff. This is it and we saw it all listed on eBay for years. The End
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is no "secret stash" of Gross level stuff.

Agreed. However, I have seen a few items where Bill had two or three of something on eBay and the example that appeared at auction was the lesser quality example and not the better quality example. I have no idea whether this was intentional or just Kelleher pushing material through in the order received.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
iKeyPikey - I agree with you, but the vast majority of the material in the first sale and now in the next one is underwhelming and does not fit with many items I've seen online from Langs. SPQR has it right. As an example, Langs always seemed to have interesting private perforations available. Where are they in these sales?
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely have only scratched the surface of what's still available online. I just think they're keeping multiple choice on an item to a minimum each auction part, so you're not overwhelmed with 7 #240 blocks of 4 in one auction. If they put them all up at once, I assume they'd get overall lower prices.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5027 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Langs always seemed to have interesting private perforations available. Where are they in these sales?

Perhaps they cannot be sold as real?
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam - maybe that's why they were "interesting"... But not being sold as real hasn't seemed to be an issue that's bothered Kelleher w/r/t more than a few items that have already found buyers.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5027 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well if a sold single item has no cert or a cert that is older than seven years that single item can be placed on extension. So "interesting" has its practical limitations. As to what has been sold already I would love to be a fly on the wall when it comes to extension items results. Of course, I am aware of quite a few collectors that do not exercise their extension privileges.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7101 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There will come a time when any items that are sent for new certs will be up online, at least in some cases. So at some point the info will be out there.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
148 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few decent stamps in the 1851-57 series - at least better than what I saw in the 1st auction. It's also nice not to have to worry about reperforations.
Page: of 15 Replies: 225 / Views: 12,001Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05