Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bill Langs Passed Away

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 312 / Views: 20,282Next Topic
Page: of 21
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1093 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   1:50 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did a search for "reperforated" in the second session pdf. Found 46 instances. Impressive. One of these days I'd like a nice steel blue 24c. Not today.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1093 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   2:02 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There had been speculation in the first sale that Kelleher was just accepting descriptions from the estate. At least they are not doing that here. I see few cases where the eBay listing doesn't mention a fault that the Kelleher auction does. Case in point: lot 2586 is stated as reperforated in Kelleher (not mentioned on cert so Kelleher must have made that determination). The item on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/166-VF-XF-...AOxyiOxRzYYP
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5983 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed that as well and wonder if there was some "fallout" from the first sale?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
98 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could have been fallout or it could have been that Kelleher just took more time putting together this auction.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
98 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Out of simple curiousity, just did a check to see what's up with overlaps between the 2nd Lang's auction at Kelleher (#750) and HipStamps. The one most interesting to me is the so-called "ribbed" 375. The same stamp appears to be both
in a HipStamps auction ending in 7 days: https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/37...998/11086812
as well as in Kelleher's #750: https://db.kelleherauctions.com/php...=2876&lang=1 .

HipStamps wants $400; Kelleher estimate is $200-$300. Both listings are troubling to me. Doubly so that the supposedly auction-committed stamps are still being listed by Lang's corporate body [couldn't resist]. I wonder where the stamp is physically located.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7380 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If Kelleher is listing it in the auction they have it physically.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
586 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that the Hipstamp / eBay prices are substantially higher than the Kelleher estimates, I wonder if the Langs estate would sell through Hipstamp and have the lot withdrawn from the Kellher sale - of course I'm not interested enough to actually waste the money to find out.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7380 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't see how they could do that without causing problems for themselves. Kelleher could remove the lot, but they would have to give some explanation. Saying it sold on hipstamp before the auction after it was in the catalog would not look good. I admit that I don't understand why any of these items are still available elsewhere, it makes everyone look amateurish.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1884 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps no one was tasked with shutting down the Hipstamp and eBay operations.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7380 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously no one was, but I don't understand such an oversight.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5983 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What would the Ebay/Hipstamp listing fees be on 70,000 plus listings? Or are there no fees until sold?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
486 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
His hipstamps have seen more than the usual hipstamp super sales. It's definitely being actively managed. I put an offer in, and was declined.

Seems like one last ditch effort to entice people at above retail levels. Agree on amateurish. Selling the stamps slated and advertised through one venue, then pushed through outside channels is in very poor taste. If it happened on one lot, or under extenuating circumstances that's one thing, but to run the business out of the front and back doors, feels dirty to customers, particularly on hipstamp.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7380 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the idea was in his will, it seems like something he would like.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One strategic reason for leaving the HipStamp/etc listings active is that they provide an estimation above that which might be assigned by an auctioneer, and may make the opening auction bids look like bargains.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
98 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RLSMoney - veey funny and does feel like something Lang would have specified.

ikeyPikey - given Lang's penchant for overpricing, I'm not sure anything other than "expect less" would be / can be learned from the dual sales channel. Regardless, this feels like a very disreputable way to do business. Kelleher either couldn't get the material w/o agreeing to it, or is not being careful w their reputation.
Page: of 21 Previous TopicReplies: 312 / Views: 20,282Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05