Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bill Langs Passed Away

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 301 / Views: 17,103Next Topic
Page: of 21
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is most odd, is that since Bill's passing, I've made numerous offers on various of his items and not received a single acceptance, counter, or response. You'd think they'd rather make a deal than take a larger loss at auction (which in most cases they are compared with his high prices). I know for one, that I paid $2200 less for one item at auction than he was asking on Hipstamp!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sheetguy2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is most odd, is that since Bill's passing, I've made numerous offers on various of his items and not received a single acceptance, counter, or response

jamesg...dont you think Kelleher is in posession of the material now??
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no information as to whether Kelleher is in possession of all the inventory, however they delivered the 3 items I purchased rapidly and as described. I suspect they are in possession of the auction items before the actual auction. Bill's Hipstamp store is still actively advertising and trying to sell his 'bargains' though :-)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1059 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   10:26 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess the easiest solution for Kelleher would be to withdraw and lots that get sold via eBay or hip.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2488 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   10:46 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"It might also be that the Langs store was pre-paid for a period a time, perhaps for a year at time."

There is no way the king of take possession now, pay later would prepay anything for a year.
Valued Member
United States
480 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i have been following the discussion of posts on the Kelleher sale of the Langs material. I got one revenue item that I bid on so far. However in the prior sale I did not get an item offered in the sale as having been won by me. payment was made followed by silence. eventually a refund was made. the explanation tendered was that the lot had been "lost in the mail". a subsequent lot was routinely delivered. these things happen. but with the recent revelation that items have been cross platform listed I wonder if the explanation rings true.
i am not adverse to the practice of cross listing, however when this is done imo it should be disclosed whether done privately or by a house. reputations are at stake here and given some past experiences I will think long and hard about bidding again.
Edited by m and m - 11/25/2020 09:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5384 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the explanation tendered was that the lot had been "lost in the mail"

I call BS on that explanation.

This is getting to be very interesting.
Valued Member
United States
480 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
except for saying that the whole thing took 4 months to resolve, I will make no further comment.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
454 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

rogdcam - this does get interesting. I am by no means an expert in rules/laws pertaining to auctions. MY belief is the relationship between the auction house, and a buyer is the same between promisor and a promisee in a conventional executory contract of sale. The seller has no right to accept a higher bid, nor may the buyer withdraw the bid. It is also on the auction house to be listing lots it has possession of.

Now, if this item were to turn up, and not be "lost in the mail" I would think this breach of contract would undermine the entire auction house. Integrity is all an auction house is really based on. Clearly a lot to risk on a few lots, no?

This article also mentions the fact that the listing would be coming down- https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamp...e-hit-market
The auction catalog mentions from the 1st auction states "A holding so vast and valuable that only Brinks Armored Car Services could be entrusted to transport the Strong Eight-Figure insured property to its destination at our galleries in Danbury."

So... I am not sure what is going on from an online perspective. Someone is actively managing the sales, because I am getting alerts of new listings, supersales are being launched, and other modifications to listings. In a word, something is indeed wrong.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
85 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It just gets better and better. HipStamp just sent me an e-mail alerting me to the availability of multiple 375vars (ribbed paper). Lo and behold BOTH LISTINGS are for the same stamp that Kelleher is offering. But the listings themselves have slightly different names and prices; e.g.,
375 Var, VERY RARE RIBBED PAPER WITH PSE ! @ $1,120 AND
#375 VAR. VERTICAL RIBBED PAPER W/ PSE CERT - EXT RARE - ERROR UNLISTED HV3998 @ the super low $399.20

I've reported the plethora of listings along with the existing of the Kelleher lot to HipStamp admin. I don't expect anything useful to happen, but am most certainly convinced that buying anything still showing on Hip or eBay from "bills..." or related shops is a mistake.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5384 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The auction catalog mentions from the 1st auction states "A holding so vast and valuable that only Brinks Armored Car Services could be entrusted to transport the Strong Eight-Figure insured property to its destination at our galleries in Danbury."

Let us take that statement as fact. By deduction if a lot is purchased on Hipstamp and transmitted to the buyer it would have to be delivered from Kelleher. No?

The puzzling aspect of this (one of them anyway) is that on its face it would seem that Kelleher would benefit more from the 38-40% commission it would get in total from an auction lot sold. Unless of course Kelleher owns the material outright which changes everything.

I will say that special contract provisions can be made between an auction house and a consigner. It is done all of the time, usually to the fee structure.

In the small world of philately the real story will come out at some point.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
85 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So in contrast to the Linns report, I would suggest that less than 85% of the lots on HipStamp (haven't bothered checking eBay) have been taken down. I've just done a parallel search of Kelleher Lots 2256 - 2304 (skipped lot 2292) representing Scott 1 to 9. Of this set of 48 lots, I was unable to find 6 or 12.5% of the selection on HipStamp. My eyes may be getting old and my search technique may leave something to be desired, but that leaves a huge redundancy that is, to me, problematic.

If someone can tell me how to share an MS Word file (or PDF or Excel), I'd be happy to share my data.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
454 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My quandary with this whole thing is that a direct bid or SAN bid in advance of auction should trigger an alternate venue listing takedown. Since all these things are disparate, albeit with loosely defined linking, this brings real problems...

3007d modern error. Listed for 3960 and 3600 on hip, with knockdown discounting from 4950 and 4500 respectively. Those claim $5100 CV.

Kelleher says
Scott $3,900 + as 12 blocks
Suggested Bid $1,200-1,800

600 current bid.

So the question becomes if someone bids 600+ will this be delisted? How can it legitimately stay up, with an outstanding commitment to a highest bidder.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2488 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   9:01 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
what a mess
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7232 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did a comparison of the revenue lots in the Langs sale to what is on eBay currently. The revenue lots run from 3559-3627. These lots are NOT on eBay: 3560, 3571, 3575, 3576, 3577, 3580, 3586, 3598, 3617, 3624. Out of 69 lots, 10 are NOT on eBay. That's 86% still up.
Page: of 21 Previous TopicReplies: 301 / Views: 17,103Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05