Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bill Langs Passed Away

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 312 / Views: 21,587Next Topic
Page: of 21
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
528 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oct 19-22 according to Linn's for round 1.
I hope this is not just big lots of material, instead singletons, or else deals won't be found with people just pushing things up sight unseen as we have seen in other auctions of late.

I also hope reserves are not on Lang's historic expectations on valuations but rather trusts the market to work.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7477 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't imagine that it will all be large lots. I expect plenty of single lot items. And Langs knew his stamps. It's possible that he was just tired when he made up the lot in question, but he certainly knew one from the other.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6382 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These auctions will be sticky wickets due to the number of certificates that tended to get "lost". Kelleher's boilerplate states that stamps with certificates 7 years or newer are not eligible for extension. Lots with 10 or more stamps are not eligible for extensions. Viewing a stamp in person cancels your right to an extension. Even so, Kelleher wants happy repeat customers and cannot have people sending their new purchases out on their own and getting back unpleasant news. So what to do? Bundle stamps together in larger groups is one approach. Get fresh certs for high dollar singles is another. The new certificate approach takes time. I fully expect to see a whole bunch of group lots by issue, special items lotted on their own and than balance lots.

As has been stated earlier if you are purchasing a pricier single with an older cert it will behoove you to practice due diligence by doing a lot of research searching for certs that may have gone astray.

Still and all I am looking forward to the sales.

Hope that their is some good Russia/Soviet Union material to be had.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
528 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam spot on assessment. Multiple stamps in lots puts caveat emptor in play AND the recent bidups.

Call me cynical, but I suspect given shear quantity and the amount riding on certs, they will do something like

1. Review most potentially worthy stamps for certs
2. Instead of issuing failing certs, agree to not cert subpars and leave a trail.
3. Munged fails into bigger lots inciting unwarranted exuberance for the uninformed.
4. Maintain no culpability due to bulk multiple stamps in lot rules
5. Call auction huge success in philately unloading shoddy stamps to unknowing bidders.
6. Publish huge bonanza leading up to subsequent auctions towards his basket of hoarded error sheets and rarer philately.

Edited by rismoney - 10/03/2020 7:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2643 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   7:48 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
" Viewing a stamp in person cancels your right to an extension"

Outrageous. We all are not experts enough on everything we would like to buy to the point where we do not need expertization for anything, nor do we possess the fancy equipment that expertizers sometimes need, plus his stuff is full of land mines.
Edited by eyeonwall - 10/03/2020 9:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1157 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   9:21 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So is the Siegel auction of Oct 19-23 showing some of Lang's stuff? It's a mammoth auction.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6382 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No
Pillar Of The Community
United States
719 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just got the sad news that Bill Langs passed away. I did not hear any details. Regardless of what you thought of Bill, I really hate losing someone from the hobby. My condolences go out to his family and loved ones.

I don't know, but I doubt it. It's been a while since RASAG had a non-name, general USA auction - the last one was in May. I suspect this October sale is simply their first fall USA sale, made up of 5-6 months of consignments.

FWIW, it DOES look like it is bigger than a typical USA sale. I've got a few dozen lots that I have interest in. I am saving my $$$ and am hoping that cooler heads prevail concerning the high realizations we've been seeing. I doubt I will be able to save ENOUGH $$$ and also doubt cooler heads will prevail. Hopefully, I will be able to get a couple of lots of my choice. Also, FWIW, I will be getting certs for any lot without one, just in case some of their sale is from the Langs hoard.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2466 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
point taken, thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7477 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What's really special about the upcoming Siegel sale is the Drs. Joanne and Edward Dauer Collection of Civil War Encased Postage. There is a lot of nice material in the sale, and plenty of large lots, but that collection is outstanding, and the auction of a collection of that material of this size is really quite unusual and scarce to see.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6382 Posts
Posted 10/04/2020   06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As an example of what material disposal issues are faced I just went to Hipstamp where Lang's listings are still up. I did a search within his listings for US Scott 245, the $5 Columbian, and it returned 28 hits. 18 of those stamps had no cert associated with them within the listing. Some of those without a cert were quite stunning and it just seems doubtful that they would never have been expertized or even graded by now. The other ten stamps had certs but almost all were single older certs, most from the 90's. PSE card type certs and so on. I may take on the mini-project of trying to track down these stamps in the available databases and see what certs if any were "lost". Might be interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6382 Posts
Posted 10/04/2020   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I am waiting for the PF database to run again I did some surfing on Hipstamp within Langs listings and this 263 caught my eye. Quite a good looking stamp for a 263 which is notoriously poorly centered. This "lightly hinged" stamp has no certificate after all of these years and sales? We will see. Should be entertaining.

Valued Member
79 Posts
Posted 10/04/2020   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bankruptcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know, but I doubt it. It's been a while since RASAG had a non-name, general USA auction - the last one was in May. I suspect this October sale is simply their first fall USA sale, made up of 5-6 months of consignments.

FWIW, it DOES look like it is bigger than a typical USA sale. I've got a few dozen lots that I have interest in. I am saving my $$$ and am hoping that cooler heads prevail concerning the high realizations we've been seeing. I doubt I will be able to save ENOUGH $$$ and also doubt cooler heads will prevail. Hopefully, I will be able to get a couple of lots of my choice. Also, FWIW, I will be getting certs for any lot without one, just in case some of their sale is from the Langs hoard.

I just received the printed catalog for the next RASAG sale. It is almost twice as large as the typical catalog from them. Glad I saved a bit this summer. This will be a very nice sale.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2643 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   4:45 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Oct 19-22 according to Linn's for round 1."

Oct 28-30 according to Kelleher site.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1157 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   11:15 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, Oct 28-30 looks official:

"Kelleher Public Auction 745
The William S. Langs Stock, Part 1:
US Stamps"
Page: of 21 Previous TopicReplies: 312 / Views: 21,587Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05