Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting Unused Self-Adhesive Stamps From USPS

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 665Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2375 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   9:26 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
" The adhesive has probably changed over the years as recent forever stamps are usually not soakable"

The adhesive may or may not have changed, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the soakability of the stamps. The earlier versions were soakable because the stamps were made with multiple layers and one of the middle layers was a thin layer of regular gum. After you soaked off a stamp the adhesive and a very thin layer of paper remained on the envelope paper. The change was they removed the thin layer of regular gum from the middle.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2375 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   9:49 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"there are issues with the acrylic adhesive "oozing" with time and without pressure applied."

While I have seen this with some European self-adhesive stamps (Denmark? I no longer remember), I have yet to see such an issue on US stamps.

One issue on US stamps I have seen is some older ones that were die cut to deeply so the die cuts cut thru the top layer of the backing and the adhesive was then able soak into the backing and it was very difficult to remove the stamps because the edges were stuck down. And some 2431 (the first self-adhesive issue when they were re-introduced in 1989) have a minor version of the adhesive migrating to the front of the stamps (the worst ones still look better than the best of the 1552), but the first mass produced ones from just 2 years later (2595-97) show no such problem.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 665Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05