Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Would You Respond To This Ebay Buyer

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 1,742Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1588 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anything is possible

Except for turning lead into gold, from what I've read.

Jim

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4805 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw the recipe being sold on eBay. Guaranteed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1588 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well then, it has to be true.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4848 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your under contract to do business thru eBay on their terms . The buyer is under contract to buy under eBay terms . Why screw around and start agreeing to terms not approved by eBay . Your the one who has the most to lose if things don't work out .Cancel the sale and sell it to the next highest bidder .
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
73 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They can turn lead into gold! Very expensive though.
Edited by OzwaldO - 07/11/2020 09:10 am
Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Inkmanno1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd give them a hard but polite pass. I have people semi regularly ask for a week, waiting to get paid etc which i'm fine with. Including the several who send me a check, MO or cash as they refuse to use PP.

But a month? Sorry but that's getting out of hand.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1301 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   11:49 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses. I posted this because I thought it was interesting but not a huge problem. I have several customers that settle up monthly but they are my regulars. From experience I thought my chances of getting paid were about 20%, but who knows.

I thought the suggestion to write the customer was a good one so I wrote;

Quote:
Hi Nancy,

I was a little surprised to get your message. It is unusual for a new customer to buy an item and immediately ask for 3 weeks to pay, what's going on? Is this how you usually do business or is this a special circumstance? Please let me know.

Ken

I quickly received this amazing response;

Quote:
I apologize that you seemed upset re request. Yes. I have done this before. My record of paying has been quite satisfactory I have sent the payment today.If you were not willing to wait, you should have said so immediately. Your response was, in fact, quite rude.....Nancy

I don't think Nancy is my kind of customer.

It's not easy selling on eBay these days.
Pillar Of The Community
3309 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KRelyea: There was nothing rude about your questions to the buyer since you voiced some concern. Some like to find fault no matter what one says which is what it seems the buyer may be doing. It is not right for the buyer to shift any blame on you when the buyer is asking you for an extension favor. Either they pay up or they shut up seems reasonable here since it is up to you to decide regarding them and not up to them.
Edited by jogil - 07/11/2020 12:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5057 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the "apologize that you seemed upset", i.e. "I'm sorry for your attitudinal problem, not my behaviour". Nancy isn't a member of my government by any chance?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
732 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That second message rings warning bells for me. The first one was annoying, the second edging towards aggression.

If it were me I would cancel the deal.

(And ask her if she will wait three weeks for the refund.)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1301 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   1:03 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ontario Canada

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4848 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both parties going outside of the terms and conditions of eBay ,just opens a can of worms .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1301 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   1:09 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't cancel the transaction without incurring a "defect" unless the buyer asks me to cancel it, so that is not an option.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
529 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, what a snippy "non-apology apology". How very un-Canadian - this person is destroying our reputation for politeness up here...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1393 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The tone of the clause "what is going on?" could have been misinterpreted.

Whenever my answer in business is "no" I find it best to deflect the focus from myself, to some third party or requirement. "Nancy, I apologize but eBay's difficult merchant policies require that I conform to eBay's standard payment timing and variances can lead to loss of protection or defect reports, so I ask that all customers use the standard payment timing to which they agreed in signing up with eBay."
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 1,742Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05