Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Removed Feedback Left For Buyer With --

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 606Next Topic  
Valued Member

239 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had the following experience last year.

http://goscf.com/t/69287&whichpage=1&

I left negative feedback for the seller indicating that I never received item and had to file a claim with eBay for a refund. eBay removed that feedback.

Seller then leaves negative feedback for me next to the positive green (because sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers) indicating that I am a horrible buyer. I call eBay who removed it and claims they will admonish seller because a seller cannot leave negative feedback next to a positive green sign. Hence, when you now go to that seller's feedback profile page, under feedback "left for others" you see "--" next to the item I did not receive where it used to mention that I am a horrible buyer.

I just want to warn others, if you see "--" for a comment that a seller left for a buyer, but you don't see what the buyer left for a seller, it's most likely because the seller violated eBay's terms and left a negative comment for the buyer and the buyer had to call eBay to have it removed.

Caveat emptor in dealing with sellers who behaving this way who ironically often have 100% feedback because they get a legitimate negative feedback removed. I personally, would never buy from such seller.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4851 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   9:48 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I'm old school and much preferred the old days when both buyers and sellers could leave either positive or negative feedback. Not all buyers are angels.

If eBay isn't going to allow sellers to leave honest feedback, then they should remove buyer feedback entirely and just replace it with a transaction counter, because buyers cannot have anything but 100% positive feedback.

What's annoying is when I get an email from eBay with a pending offer, extolling the buyer because they have 100% feedback. Well, no sh*t, Captain Obvious.

P.S. There are also legitimate reasons why eBay might remove a buyer's feedback that do NOT mean the seller engaged in anything unethical. If the buyer left comments that include profanity, epithets, and other unacceptable language, or included personally identifying information, comments can be removed. Also, a buyer can request eBay that their comments be removed.

A missing comment is a missing comment, nothing more.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1574 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How isn't eBay feedback all that much different from www.yelp.com?

Pluses and minuses on both sides, from the seller's point of view and the buyer's/purchaser's/customer's point of view.

Kind of seems like, what the media now calls it, the "New Normal."

Jim
Learn More...
8277 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   05:04 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...P.S. There are also legitimate reasons why eBay might remove a buyer's feedback...

Respectfully disagree. In a legitimate feedback system all feedback is kept even if it has errors or mistakes. Any feedback with profanity, epithets, and other unacceptable language, or included personally identifying information should be checked and filtered before the feedback form is submitted. Not messing with the data is the golden rule of this kind of data collection because doing so greatly impacts any conclusions.

When you collect QA (or research) data there is no 'picking and choosing' allowed, you collect the data even if it has warts. The warts are expected and understood to occasionally occur.

Once you make exceptions in the data collection the resulting conclusions made from the data are suspect unless you add qualifiers. Having qualifiers results in very low confidence in the data and the resulting conclusions.

Consider how the eBay feedback system conclusions should truthfully be described "this buyer has 100% feedback except for the stuff we removed". eBay has a vested interest in rigging the feedback system; their objective is to make buyers feel good about sending money to someone they do not know half way around the planet. This is why they play games with the data.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4851 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:11 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, I didn't mean "legitimate" in the theoretical ideal sense, but rather "within the constraints of eBay's current feedback system".

You're right that in an ideal system, nothing would ever be redacted after the fact, but the important point here is that just because a buyer's feedback has been removed, DOES NOT automatically mean that the seller did anything wrong.
Learn More...
8277 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   11:26 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, sorry...I misunderstood. As you know I like to rail on against the eBay feedback system. Playing with the data in a QA system like this is like Photoshopping images, it just ain't right!
Don
Valued Member
53 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add elmerfudd22 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
there needs to be some place where people can know if a buyer keeps claiming they never received an item and asks for a refund. when selling to overseas buyers it is almost always too expensive to send stamps by registered mail. lots of countries it is dangerous to send mail from the u.s. and many sellers refuse to ship to many of these countries.
Valued Member
413 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a buyer and seller, I have experienced both sides of items not received. Please keep in mind that as a seller, in order to receive your fees credited back by eBay, it happens through having a claim opened. If you simply refund via PayPal, this does not occur. It is possible the seller was awaiting the INR claim to be opened.

In the event I have refunded a buyer, I would hope not to receive negative feedback. Items get lost. Mistakes happen. Delays happen. If it is a reflection of a terrible seller, than by all means leave negative feedback - that is the idea of the system. If it is an honest mistake, a shipping mishap, or the seller takes a few days (many sellers are very part-time) (or perhaps the seller was contacting the other person the items were sent to to see about redirecting them to you), consider neutral feedback or positive with an explanation. From the seller's point of view, they are theoretically out the item, the shipping, the sale cost, some residual fees, and then a possible negative feedback. That's a rough experience. As a buyer, you are out having a chance to own an item but shouldn't have lost any funds. eBay has very much sided with pleasing buyers and this has only increased exponentially. It has caused many sellers, myself included, to be very wary of selling things on that platform.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
consider neutral feedback or positive with an explanation.

As a buyer, there is a seven day waiting period to leave any feedback other than positive.
Valued Member
239 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On Yelp!, there is wording in small print that indicates how many reviews are currently not recommended. A user is able to click on that to read then and they are not factored into the overall star reviews of a business. The same should apply to eBay IMO. People should be able to read what buyers and sellers have commented about their transactions and then make judgements based on them. For a seller that has "--" left in a buyer's feedback profile, one can reasonably assume it was negative retaliatory feedback, which speaks volumes about what kind of a seller you might be dealing with--personally not one I want to buy from.
Learn More...
8277 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   3:53 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Online reviews and feedbacks are suspect on most all platforms. There are people who make a living writing online reviews, paid to make the product/service look good to others and encourage them to spent their money. Requiring a buyer to be 'verified' before allowing any review/feedback is not any help since many of these folks do actually make a purchase but then get refunded behind the scenes. To be free of vested interest, a selling venue would need to have an independent third party running the review/feedback system. Retaining control over the review/feedback system by the online selling venue is having the fox guard the henhouse.

As such, I put zero value on any of these silly online review/feedbacks 'features'.
Don
Valued Member
239 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the case of eBay, ideally they shouldn't censor comments, otherwise it raises suspicion among buyers.
Learn More...
8277 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   4:40 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does it really matter when they limit the feedback to a cryptic Tweet-like 75 characters? A buyer or seller who was interested in getting feedback with an eye towards continuous improvement typically wants to hear about 'was the material as described', 'was the service fast and easy', 'was the packing sufficient', 'would you recommend us to a friend', etc.

The fact that eBay limits the feedback significantly tells you that it is just a marketing tool for THEM. The fact that they play games with removing feedbacks says the same thing.

I stopped supporting the inane eBay feedback system years ago. On the rare occasion that I make a large purchase on eBay, I take the 60 seconds it takes to send the seller a message with meaningful and useful feedback.
Don
Valued Member
239 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the majority of positive transactions, less than 75 characters is pretty much all you need for a comment. For a negative experience, eBay should allow ample space to for both buyer and seller to detail what happened, how each party responded to handle any resolution, if eBay intervened, etc.. A buyer would then be better able to judge a seller based on his/her feedback comments.

I agree that the feedback is a marketing tool and one has to often dig deeper through feedback going back years to read comments to get a sense if the seller's 100% positive feedback is accurate.

Revised Feedback and feedback that has been removed by eBay with "--" are huge red flags for me personally as a buyer.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 606Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05