Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

"A" Non-Denominated Definitive

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 426Next Topic  
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add countyboy01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My apologies if this has been done to death already. Quite a while ago I read somewhere that Canada Post would accept A stamps as equivalent to P stamps. Can anyone verify?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you referring to "A" stamps from the USA or something else? Canada Post does not accept foreign stamps for mailing from Canada. Obviously they accept foreign stamps on items coming into Canada.

Having said that, I am sure most of us have seen items showing a US stamp affixed to and cancelled on an item mailed from Canada. That would be an exception due to lack of attention by someone.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7122 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Canada Post does not accept foreign stamps for mailing from Canada

That is true..BUT...There is one example of a foreign not existing country that is allowed to be placed on a cover to be mailed in Canada.

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well OK, but Newfoundland is now a province of Canada, so it really is not from a "current" foreign country. If we are going down that exception road there are more examples such as the UN issues that were used during EXPO 67 in Montreal, joint issues from foreign countries included in souvenir sheets, etc. However, I stand by my comment.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1470 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect that the OP was referring to the 1981 Canadian Maple leaf emblem issue, showing a denomination of A (set at 30c).

Scott #907 (sheet) and #908 (coil)
Edited by 22crows - 07/11/2020 10:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
7122 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one of my covers as an example of Canadian and NFLD stamps used to mail within Canada...Just one example.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6513 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think 22crows is right and the question is about this 1981 A stamp.

I wish I knew. I've googled it and have even looked to post a question on Canada Posts website. I suspect most CP counter employees have never seen one and wouldn't know.
I've been wanting to use my lone, and slight damaged copy on an envelope, but haven't had the nerve yet, without knowing for sure
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot about that 1981 issue and think both 22crows and jamesw are correct in what the OP was referring to. I jumped to the wrong conclusion in my initial response.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
616 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 1981 I was in Hamilton with my son who was playing in a hockey tournament. Watching CBC, the reporter showed the new "A" stamp and cited it as a great error since Canada Post had misspelled "A". They then showed a stamp with the correct spelling, "Eh". I've never seen another reference to that broadcast.
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add countyboy01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I did mean the 1981 Canadian, eh. I have used them a couple of times and they did go through, but was wondering if anyone knew the true story. The "official" line is, of course 30c. Thanks again. Neil.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
580 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have spoken to some experts on this and the stamp is 30c. (e.g. Andrew Chung)

If you use them alone, you are underpaying by 62c (as of present rate).

They go through just like a lot of letters with older stamps go through (not recognized by the system) - typically no cancels.

I would be interested to know if you ever receive a cancelled stamp. I happen to have an envelope that had a 30c and was cancelled (no postage due). So I asked exactly the same question a while back.
Valued Member
Canada
129 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From a ca 1983 edition of the Lyman Standard Catalogue of Canada:

"The "A" stamp is valid for the carriage of mail in Canada only, and has a 30 cents value".

For those that don't know the reason for this stamp, there was a planned rate increase on 1 January 1982, but the new stamps had to be printed before the final rate was established.

Jan
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 426Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05