Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unusual Revenue Used Illegally As Postage Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 413Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4851 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   9:32 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not entirely sure what the story is here.

Horizontal pair of R196 or R207 used illegally for postage on a December 1914 cover. The cover appears to have originated in McKinney, Texas, althrough there is no return address, addressed to recipient in Mississippi.

I'm not sure how it routed through Mexico though. It was caught by the Mexican (postal?) authorities. The violet handstamp reads:

Quote:
Recibida en el Departamento de Rezagos sin la estampilla correspondiente.

Which per Google translates to:

Quote:
Received in the Lags Department without the corresponding stamp.

I don't know that "Lags" is a proper contextual translation of Rezagos.

The department name in the handstamp matches that of the black and white seal affixed (and unfortunately cut through when the envelope was opened), which overlays the McKinney handstamps, so clearly it occurred after the letter left McKinney.

McKinney is supposedly north of Dallas, so why would it have routed through Mexico to get to Mississippi?

Any thoughts?

Send note to Staff
Edited by revenuecollector - 07/10/2020 9:37 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1574 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan,

"Departmento de Rezagos" = Department of Dead Letters.

Jim
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4851 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   9:38 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim. That makes sense... now how did it end up there?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1574 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A century later and the address is no easier to read that it was at the time.

Someone must have said (at the time), "meh", and it went to the dead letter office.

The biggest issue is, do you put this cover in the "revenues used as postage" collection, or the "foreign official seals collection"?

Or, just get another one and put one of each in each collection?

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4851 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   9:54 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, I get it... but a dead letter office in Mexico?

P.S. The where to put it question isn't as big an issue for me as it would be for you.
Edited by revenuecollector - 07/10/2020 9:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1574 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
P.S. The where to put it question isn't as big an issue for me as it would be for you.

True, true.

Lol

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1574 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ok, NOW it looks like Miss., but back then, and after a few beers, maybe it was interpreted as "Mex."

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6859 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the address might have been read quickly and the letter was sent to Stewart Texas by mistake, but that is near the Louisiana border, not Mexico. Strange.
Edited by revcollector - 07/10/2020 10:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with James. I think Miss was read as Mex. If you squint and don't try really hard, it could be Mex.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add locals4me to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to Wikipedia, the population of Steward Miss in 1904 was 200, and it remains unincorporated today. I wonder if the lower right manuscript marking refers to rural route no. 1. Googling for rural postal routes mississippi provided a PDF from USPS that did not list Stewart, but did list a few nearby (within 20 miles) towns that did have rural delivery, at least up to 1904 when this listing ended.

So, perhaps it was mean to go to this tiny community that may not have been on too many maps, but was sent to Mexico instead and without a way to contact the sender, it ended up in the DLO there. How it came into your hands is a mystery itself!
John Bowman
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add locals4me to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I misspelled "Stewart" above.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6859 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dead letter items wind up in collector's hands; I have a few myself.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
357 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This cover was dated 1914, in the midst of the Mexican Revolution. I would agree with the early speculations that the US clerk misread the "Miss" as "Mex" and sent it to Mexico City. Things were quite chaotic during this time, and the clerk probably figured it was easier to send it to the Dead Letter Office than to try and figure out where to send it back to the US.

There was apparently a great deal of "dead letter" mail during this period, generally due to different parts of the country being occupied by rebel forces. There was a story in an issue of Mexicana, the journal of MEPSI, about an incident were something like 150,000 covers from the Dead Letter Office in Mexico City were taken to the dump, where they were quickly discovered by collectors and salvaged.

Mike
Edited by mml1942 - 07/11/2020 10:47 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 413Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05