Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Nice And Compact US Catalog Do You Use For Keeping Track Of The Stamps You Have And Don't Have?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 473Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add niosurfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For my Brazilian collection I use the RHM catalog, which is very compact and easy to handle. Also very easy to move around and use it as a quick reference to know what you have and what you don't have. See pictures below:

In the picture above you can see that I mark with an "X" what I have mint and with a "C X" what I have cancelled/used. Eventually I will also mark whether it is MNH (Mint-Never-Hinged) or not, but that's a project for the future.

So what US catalog do you recommend me that would be similar to the one above? The Specialized Scott Catalog I have here is very bulky. Not a good resource for a quick reference. My main desire is to have a small/compact US catalog with clear pictures that I can use to keep track of what I have and what I do not have.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4624 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, but I heard bad things about this one. Like it has no pictures, just a bunch of boxes with descriptions for you to check.

Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the stamp smarter link rogdcam provided is just what you need. You can print it double sided and only the year groups you collect.

Or you can buy a slightly older Scott Specialized and excise out the postage stamp section by running an xacto knife along the spine.

No matter what you do USA has 3 times as many stamps as Brazil (based on one of the on-line catalogs) so you will necessarily end up with a thicker catalog.
Valued Member
Spain
182 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
When you start collecting, anything goes. Then you find an endless number of identical pieces and want to improve the collection. Then they're no good "X" or "XC". I advise everyone to use a method that warns of the status of the piece.
This is mine as an example. I use numbers in the catalogs and color the cells in the excel lists.
Each must invent a method that suits their interests, but it is not practical to use more than one digit no more than 10 codes.
Regards.

Edited by Roberto59 - 07/11/2020 6:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4096 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Catalogue pictured says "Stamps in Color."
Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/11/2020 7:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1925 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   11:31 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott's Pocket Catalog is the size of a paperback book. Why they persist in calling it a 'pocket' catalog escapes me. I have a 2011 edition, at least as of then, it has full color illustrations of stamps. Not sure where you heard it didn't. It's still easily carried in a briefcase or bag to shows- when they start having them again.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2802 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting code.
Al
Learn More...
8267 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   12:08 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume Roberto59 means that he uses Excel Conditional Formatting rules to automatically use a color fill for the rows based upon the 'status' number.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
616 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Scott's Pocket Catalog is the size of a paperback book. Why they persist in calling it a 'pocket' catalog escapes me

It dates me, but when paperbacks first made their appearance on the literary scene, they were called "pocket books".
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   01:34 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've made a Google Sheet that has all the details I could ever want including if me or my young daughters collects have a copy. I can share a few screenshots later if anyone would like.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
938 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   05:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Scott's Pocket Catalog is the size of a paperback book. Why they persist in calling it a 'pocket' catalog escapes me. I have a 2011 edition, at least as of then, it has full color illustrations of stamps. Not sure where you heard it didn't.

Even the 1980 edition, which I used for years as my checklist for U.S., U.N., and Canada, has illustrations, though back then they were black and white. With a cover price of only $2.50, it was an excellent investment.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Thanks, Robert59. That's indeed very interesting. See this thread where I reference your system: http://goscf.com/t/73467
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 473Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05