Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is That Lot Of Old US Stamps Any Good? Are Old/Rare US Stamps Any Good If Damaged?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 428Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add niosurfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4638 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are not rare and are indeed damaged. Why do you ask?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

They are not rare and are indeed damaged. Why do you ask?

I'm trying to learn from the more experienced collectors here. Money permitting I would like to eventually buy some older/rarer US stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
1359 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This question more properly belongs in the US Classic Stamps forum. You are asking about old stamps in a forum dedicated to modern (post 1940) stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This lot has the look of someone trying to unload their worst junk.

Here is what I can tell you from over 40 years of stamp collecting experience. It's tempting for some collectors to buy lots like this to fill a lot of spaces in an album/collection quickly. But stamp collectors generally develop a continuous-improvement mentality, and will want to replace stamps with poor eye appeal with nicer-looking specimens. Anyone who buys a lot like this will almost certainly develop buyer's remorse, especially when they try to sell the badly damaged stamps.

One key question I learned to ask myself every time I consider whether to buy a stamp or coin is; will I have trouble selling this when I no longer want it? If the answer is yes, I don't buy it.

Bottom line: Stamp collecting is a journey. I recommend being patient and selective, and gradually building your collection with the "buy the best you can afford" approach. Stamp collecting is generally much more satisfying this way.
Edited by Classic Coins - 07/11/2020 7:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6859 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This lot is a kennel; it's full of dogs. The hope for some is that if a few of the better stamps turn out to be in decent condition, then it's worth it. The likelihood is that they will not.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6859 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And IF the Confederate note is both real and in good condition.
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eagle79 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Confederate item appears to be a coupon from a Confederate Bond. They turn up in stamp lots, coin lots and paper money lots with some regularity. They come from large, almost poster sized, bonds from which they were cut as interest was paid over time. The CSA Bonds are neat items that are collectible as well.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

This lot has the look of someone trying to unload their worst junk.

That was a funny sentence. But somehow people are paying $200+ so is it really junk or are people just buying junk? :)

Check here => https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-US-STA...324219732674
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4638 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do not go by what other people are paying. Educate yourself and make your own realistic assessments.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4099 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes people buy junk all the time and overpay. Condition. Education.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/11/2020 7:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Yes people buy junk all the time and overpay. Condition. Education.

It just sold for $316. The market is hot for stamps it looks like. People are stuck at home, what else is best to do?
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are numerous early US stamps for sale at reasonable prices at the American Philatelic Society on-line store. You do not have to be a member to buy from them, although there is a 10% discount if you are a member. If there is something not right with a purchase, you can return the item for a full refund. It is a very good place to gain knowledge (and buy and sell stamps) with confidence.

The store sells stamps from countries around the world, sent in my members wishing to sell. Google "American Philatelic Society" should get you started.

Pillar Of The Community
3292 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unless the stamp is rare and/or few copies exist, physical damage to the paper body of the stamp like tears, rips, folds, thins, missing pieces, etc. can greatly reduce the value of a stamp sometimes to next to nothing.
Edited by jogil - 07/12/2020 07:06 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 428Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05