Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does That Yellow In Those Mounts Mean That The Stamp Is Damaged / Stained? (Pics Included)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 545Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add niosurfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
906 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   7:33 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell what it is exactly, but yes, it's damage. I expect humidity may have had a lot to do with it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4365 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks as though the tape adhesive has migrated into the paper of the mint stamps (second pic).

It is possible that that this hasn't happened to the parcel post stamps. I would remove them from the crystal mounts to see if they are salvageable.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6823 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Someone put old fashioned Scotch Tape on the outside edges of the mounts. If you are VERY lucky, none of the stamps have been damaged. If you are very unlucky, ALL of the stamps HAVE been damaged.
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen this a lot. I think the original collector felt that the Crystal Mounts that he used were a little 'loose', and he found that the stamps didn't stay put very well. (At least that is the rationale that I have made up in my head) The collector was looking to prevent the stamps from falling out of the side of the mounts, so he put a little piece of Scotch Tape at the open ends of the mounts. It looks great for a few years, then after some time (like decades, I think) the Scotch tape yellows with age. The yellowing will eventually seep through the mount itself and end up staining the stamp inside. At this point, it is like Revcollector says - whether the stamps inside are damaged or not mostly depends on luck. Well, it more depends on whether they have been there long enough for the staining to seep through the mount and into the stamp, but since you probably don't know exactlyhow long the stamps have been in the mounts, it essentially comes down to luck.

I have rolled the dice a number of times on lots stained like this. I have lost that bet enough so that I no longer roll the dice on them. This practice (using Scotch Tape this way) was a big mistake and it became apparent only after decades. I hope nobody today is doing this. Don't give in to the temptation of using Scotch Tape in your stamp albums!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1773 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember how the tape would damage the mount AND the stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6823 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alas, I have seen a lot of this too. I would expect that at least 60% to 75% are damaged.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1166 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What I find rather surprising is that you can still find Crystal Mounts for sale on eBay. Fortunately, I lost only a few common stamps to these mounts many years ago.
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anytime that you see similar discoloration, it is a red flag that the (original) owner was not careful. I may mean that there are other problems with other stamps. Best to stay away from these unless you can view them in person. An eBay seller could easily say that the damage in the photo is not a reason for a return.
Valued Member
Canada
56 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are numerous threads on this forum regarding the woes of Crystal Mount damage. I posted info and some photos of the damage caused in my Dad's collection in this thread:

http://goscf.com/t/57305

Most of his MNH collection has ended up in the garbage. $1,000s down the drain.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 545Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05