Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Odd Postmark From The Weimar Era?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 301Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
440 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EMaxim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have no idea whether this is anything out of the ordinary. Can't really tell what exactly I'm seeing here. Any ideas?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France
1206 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An official stamp (definitive with "Dienstmarke" overprint)from 1924
Michel # 110
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by vayolene - 07/12/2020 12:40 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
440 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I recognized the stamp itself as Mi 110. What puzzles me is the cancellation. Is it something fancy? Or merely the partial remains of an ordinary cancel?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4409 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just an ordinary cancel.

The "2" in the bottom panel might indicate that this was processed at the railway station post office, which was typical for the period.

With 1890's-1945 usage, a "1" in the bottom panel indicates the "old town"/city center and a "2" generally indicates post office near/at the main railway station (if there was one).
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It could be Breslau, based on checking the stampsx database:
https://www.stampsx.com/ratgeber/st...hp?id=438017

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
440 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you nailed it, Germania. Thanks!

And now that you've turned me on to Stampsx, could you tell me how you were able to find this particular cancellation? I want to learn how best to use this great resource.
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EMaxim,
In the box labeled "Exakter Text im Stempelgerät oder exakte Teile davon" I typed "k 2 k" (with the spaces and without the quote marks). I get 6 cancellation devices. You just need to go through them and match up. Sometimes you get >500 devices; then you have to narrow the search. For example, the postmark on your stamp is a KBS (select in the box labeled [Stempelsorten (grobe Einteilung)] and in this case the number of hits drops to 3. [Stempel Typenübersicht] will show you images of the various styles of devices.

Some basic knowledge of German is required. Otherwise, Google Translate is useful. Regardless, some experimentation is necessary until you figure it out.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
440 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again. Can't wait to try it out. My German is actually pretty good. It's the technical terms that sometimes throw me. But they're becoming familiar now that I've switched from Scott to Michel for Germany and German area. Appreciate the help.
Eric
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 301Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05