Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Exactly Is This 114 ??

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 489Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
15 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jimbob13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was sifting through my recent auction lots and came across this stamp in an envelope full of used 114's. I looked at it like any other "whacked up" choo-choo of that issue and started to put it aside when I noticed that there were no perfs between the printers mark and the top of the stamp. So , did this thing start out life as part of an imperf sheet ( never heard of one ) or is it just a really strange 114 EFO or what?

The paper looks right , the cancel resembles many other smudges of the era and the grill appears correct. I've searched several databases and I can't find any reference to a 114 imperf ( unless it was on the edge of the sheet ). If anyone of the viewers has any further info. about this issue I'd appreciate your sharing. I find it hard to believe this is a "lone-ranger" and I'm well prepared for the polite "you dummy , it's just a" .... been there and done that.

And thanks to all the collectors who have so generously shared their knowledge for the many years I've been reading these forums .... the information I've gained has been invaluable !!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could this be an essay? I am reading the header description of essays in the Scott Specialized, and the description of 114-E7. 114-E7a is "Same design and color of issued stamp", "imperf, gummed, ultramarine". But then, why would an essay be cut like this?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Jr. Ratfish - 07/12/2020 2:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6823 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
it was a normal but off centered stamp and someone trimmed it.
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimbob13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oddly trimmed , yes , but it appears to never have been perfed. Shouldn't there be a line of perfs below the printer's tag and above the stamp image or is my ignorance showing ?
Edited by jimbob13 - 07/12/2020 6:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4597 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Siegel has sold margin copies of 114 before that were not perforated on the margin side.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6823 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This issue had so many problems with perforations that they wee might have been in the middle of the imprint. That's why it is so short on the bottom, the perfs were probably cutting into the design through the numeral.
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimbob13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revcollector ..... thank you , a major vertical offset had never occurred to me. Looking at it with new eyes and shifting the entire design upward makes sense.
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   11:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp is a good example of why imperf-between stamps are always priced as pairs. Although extreme, this example could very well have come from a waaaay off-center (but large) stamp and had its perfs trimmed. Including more of the margin, or including an adjacent stamp could make the claim of an imperf stamp much more believable. I think it is something along the lines of an interesting oddity as it is. Or perhaps more to the point, it is an interestingly damaged stamp. You MIGHT find someone that would pay more for it than a regular fully perfed example, but I doubt it.
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimbob13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll most likely keep it in a prominent place on my desk as a reminder to look at something new and unusual with eyes wide open. Age has given me wisdom and the new ability to forget where I put it ( the wisdom ) .
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 489Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05