Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain Collection Question

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 826Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
14 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gr1956stamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For the GB collectors.What year do you cut off your collections and for what reasons ? My collection has only several special interest GB offerings in the 21st Century ,along with Christmas stamps,but primarily ends around 1999.Just interested to hear what the more experienced GB think.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tgswanner to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As with any philatelic endeavor, it is a personal preference. I concentrate on the early stuff looking for plate varieties and/or color variations. But I also have pages up to 2018 in case I come across something to add. I enjoy adding anything to my GB collection that I do not have. It is just a matter of enjoying what you do.
Roll Tide
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by tgswanner - 07/12/2020 9:26 pm
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gr1956stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you and yes,Roll Tide ! What albums do you use for your collection ?
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tgswanner to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Steiner pages with page protectors and 2" 3 ring binders for the basic stuff as they follow the Scott Catalog but just make my own pages for specialty items - plate numbers, items on cover, etc.
Edited by tgswanner - 07/12/2020 9:41 pm
Valued Member
48 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrentAbba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to go with all of the predecimal currency issues, so I cover 1840- 1970, all in used condition.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29779 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I use Steiner pages with page protectors and 2" 3 ring binders for the basic stuff as they follow the Scott Catalog but just make my own pages for specialty items - plate numbers, items on cover, etc.

Ditto.
albeit I prefer 4 ring binders.
I see no reason for any cutoff, I just print a Steiner Page when the stamp that has arrived, needs it.
I have no problem with partly completed pages, I am at ease with that.
(Currently 4 Albums / Volumes of GB material)
http://goscf.com/t/54589 br /
Edited by rod222 - 07/12/2020 11:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4970 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use a cut-off of the introduction of decimal currency in 1970. I use anything after that to send letters and parcels. This has the added advantages of leaving me free from both the flood of philatelic junk of recent decades and the dullness of Machins.

I have the pre-1936 stuff, such as it is, in a Gibbons Imperial album, and the GVI-QEII on quadrille. If you're thinking of printed albums, the obvious choice is the Gibbons Windsor. These are widely available at auction etc, but it's worth noting that formats have changed somewhat over the years. Mounting stamps, particularly earlier GB, on cheap-and-cheerful, and cheap-looking, Steiner pages does not display them to best advantage.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
270 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   03:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maiden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I decided on a cut-off of 2010 for all of my collecting, for 2 reasons really:

1. Saves me buying new catalogues
2. I detest self-adhesive stamps, and they seemed to kick-in around 2010/11 (at least for GB anyway)
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have some free blank pages for GB issues to 1936 with places for plate number varieties (like the old Windsor album). I printed the pages on 55 pound stock and used Bollaffi Kanguru mounts.

See items #2 and #3 here:
https://www.rfrajola.com/gbpages.htm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1016 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4774 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Happy to report --on the subject discussed above which reads ----"mounting stamps.....on cheap and cheerful,and cheap looking Steiner pages does not display them to best advantage " Everybody got their own opinion .

People who make statements like that have no clue to the needs and problems a worldwide collector has faced over the years .
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4970 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I do, given that I collect a reasonable chunk of worldwide, although I no longer collect everything. I don't just want to stick labels on a page as if I were stacking supermarket shelves with baked beans, which is the Steiner approach. I want to enjoy looking at what I own. Making my own pages with quadrille, pen, ink and ruler is a little more trouble than printing off web-based pages, but the pages look as I want them to look. Where I use printed albums, the better material gets something like the setting it deserves.
Valued Member
413 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For G.B. itself, I also fall into the pre-decimal camp as it makes a nice ending point. For
Most Commonwealth I stop at the end KG and have started to purge most of my QEII era stuff. It just becomes too much for me to manage and I also just prefer to look of the older classical era.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
299 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful collection chipg. I will have to spend some time looking at your pages in greater detail.
Valued Member
256 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should have stopped collecting the commemoratives long ago. I do think the Machins are fascinating with the many varieties.

I think the album to use for your collection depends on what you collect and what suits your taste.

If you collect one of everything on the most basic listing of UK stamps as part of a much wider collection, I can understand Steiner presents an option.
If your GB collection focuses on certain types of stamps, you might prefer a cheap system that looks nice and allows you to make your own layout.

However, I am with GeoffHa on this subject.

If GB is your main collection or one of your main collections, you might want to invest in the presentation and pay a bit more for a pre-printed album or choose a system that allows you to do as GeoffHa says and invest time in writing up your collection. My handwriting is not good enough for that, so I use a printer to make my own pages. But I must confess those handwritten pages often look stunning. I go beyond even the SG Concise catalogue and include overprinted stamps. Consequently, I use a system that allows me to make "pages look as I want them to look."
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader wrote: "everybody got their own opinion." Indeed, what works for Collector A may not work for collector B and definitely won't work for Collector C.

I saved British Commonwealth when I downsized the former world wide collection. The world collection was centered on Parts I through V of the Scott Big Blue International, 1840 through 1965. Even though the part I pages (1840-1940) are woefully inadequate, I still have them for most Commonwealth countries, including Britain, supplemented by Scott Intl. pre-printed quadrille pages. I moved my collections of Canada and BNA totally to quadrille pages. If I ever get around to it, the collections of Australia and British Africa will go on trimmed down Scott specialty pages, to fit my International binders, as I have good condition used Scott albums for those (with few stamps).
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 826Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05