Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stockbook And Hawid History

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 358Next Topic  
Valued Member
Poland
13 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add citizenA to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone.

I wonder whether anybody would have solid information on this subject.

I cannot find an answer to this question: when, and by whom, was the first stockbook patented and made? When did the hingeless era of stamp oollecting actually start on mass scale? Was hawid first, or stockbook first?

I can trace bits and pieces of general information, but not exact years. It looks like there is no "history od stockbook" described anywhere

Greetings to you all from Gda#324;sk in Poland!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4957 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know, Lindner made the first hingeless mounts - 1940s? Stock-books must go back thirty years earlier.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Poland
13 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add citizenA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your information.

Lindner was founded in 1947. Cannot find info on when they introduced a hingless album. I read somewhere that hingeless collecting has become popular in the second half of the 20th century. Can't believe that technology to manufacture stockbooks would be available in the early 20th century (?). I would be very surprised.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4957 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first stock-pages would have had linen or card sections - my grandad could have made that!
Learn More...
8265 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   3:43 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 1947 US patent
http://stampsmarter.com/mounts/stam...ntpatent.pdf

Note the reference in the last section including Patent #1736950 which is

Quote:

Nov 26, 1929. P. WANGEMAN-N 1,736,950

MEANS FOR FASTENING POSTAGE STAMPS IN ALBUMS Filed May 9, I928 E91. 9 2 *6 15 1a. 1 a 86 #4 lnuenzon .Patentetl Nov. 26, i929 PAUL WANGEMANN, F BERLIN, GERMANY MEANS FOR FASTENING POSTAGE STAMPS IN ALBUMS Application filed May 9, 1928, Serial No. 276,485, and in Germany .Tune 28, 1927.

The invention relates to means for fastening postage-stamps and the like in albums without employment of the hitherto usual hinges.

The present method has the advantage, that 5, the postage-stamps are not injured by the laps, pasted upon the same.

Fig. 1 illustrates one mode of embodying the present invention in plan.

Fig. 1 is a side-view of the same.

Figs. 2 and 3 show modified methods in top plan.

Figs. 2 and 3 are side-views, and

Figs. 4 and 4s"- illustrate the arrangement in the album.

In Figs. 1 and 1 0. indicates a tape, or strip of transparent material, having two bent over edges 6, b. The postage-stamp 0 is inserted into the said bent over edges and the postagestamp, together with the corresponding part 01 severed from the tape or strip by the cut ee. One or both edges 6 are gummed. so that the postage-stamp 0 can, with the cutofi covering all, be directly pasted into the album by means of one of the gummed edges 6.

In the modified mode of embodying the present invention illustrated in Figs. 2 and 2*, one or both edges are sub-divided into indiil idual teeth 3), b, b, b", by incisions. If on position by the other teeth b'-, even if the covering 03 is folded entirely upward; In the method according to Figs. 3 and 3, a coloured O paper strip it is gummed on its rear face andis employed as a support, in order to render the appearance of the postage-stamp more prominent. In Fig. 4, the postage-stamp 0 is, p with its cover d, not pasted upon the album: sheet, but sliped upon a paste-board strip '5, 40 along which latter it may be displaced. Fig. 4: shows in plan, how the postage-stamp 0 can be displaced on the strip 1' and how the individual strip 2' can be displaced in its height along the album-sheet is, so that the diiferent postage-stamps can be displaced over the entire page of the album-sheet. I claim: 1.- Means for fastening postage-stamps in albums, consisting of a strip of transparent material having one gummed edge bent over.

single teeth I) are pasted upon the album-sheet 9, the postage-stamp is held in 2. Means for fastening postage stamps in albums, consisting of a strip of transparent material, having two edges bent over.

3. Means for fastening postage-stamps, consisting of a strip of transparent material having tWo edges bent over embracing a gummed paper strip.

The 1929 is the earliest I can find for a transparent type stamp mounting.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1474 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonder what satcheleers used in the 1920's and 1930s? Stock cards? Or?
Valued Member
Poland
13 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add citizenA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thank you!

Does registering patent automatically means manufacturing? Possibly not, but here we go - the idea was there in 1927. But when the first one was actually made (stockbook with transparent strip, or stamp mount with transparent cover)?

Yes, I was thinking how all those old stamps have survived without hinges since early 20th century? Collectors would mostly use hinges, so did they stock stamps in boxes or envelopes or something? A bit uncomfortable.

Maybe GeoffHa is right - they were making early stockbooks with strips of linen or cardboard.

The catalogue prices for the stamps from before the second world war (or even earlier) are for hingeless pieces. At least that's the consensus. There is an abundance of them, so how did collectors store them, if the mass manufacturing of stockbooks possibly started only in the 2nd half of the 20th century?

Well, it's not really super important, just interesting :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1474 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw a comment in the forum that it seems unlikely many old never hinged stamps came about from dealer stocks, but I do think this is an important source. Many old dealers ordered new issues in bulk and not all sets were broken down and sold.

There was also a time when some collectors bought new issues at retail and never got around to mounting all of them. I've seen a few collections with large amounts of new issues in glassines, sometimes in blocks.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
512 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently got a mixed lot of Austria as part of a purchase, and many of them were stamps from the early part of the 20th century still in dealer glassines from the 1940s/1950s and unhinged.
Valued Member
Poland
13 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add citizenA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are both right, as it is the most probable explanations: dealers.

I had to look up the word "satcheleer" and found it: "(...) itinerant stamp dealer going about, picking up stamps from banks, business houses and other sources and selling them usually to dealers, though privately when convenient a type of middleman which still flourishes. Such merchants were and are not only urban but interurban. The journals reported in 1889 that W. B. Hale of Williamsville, Mass., the traveling stamp dealer, was painfully injured by colliding with a team while pedaling his bicycle from Holyoke to Springfield, but recovered."

So many stamps survived in MNH condition because of dealers' stocks - that's solved. The question about the first stockbooks and hingeless albums still remains: when did they enter the market? 50's? 60's? Somebody who has been collecting since then would know...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4089 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Manila stock pages go way back. How far back? Manila was patented in 1843.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/13/2020 9:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A number of years ago I bought some approval books and manila slotted cards from an estate, The elderly woman I bought them from said they were her father or grandfather and they dated from before WWI. The old scott numbers inside and the lack of anything after that period pretty much confirmed that. Some are small Elbe books. Elbe was founded in 1909.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 358Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05