Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US 50c Internal Revenue R60 - Need Stamp Detectives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 560Next Topic  
Valued Member
415 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add souldjer777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good Afternoon,

Take a look at the left hand side of this U.S. Internal Revenue 50c stamp. There is some sort of print in the ink to the left of the stamp which I'm unable to make out. Hoping a stamp detective here can make out what it is exactly. I've been unsuccessful thus far. I'm uncertain as to what the design is, orientation or what it may say.

Thanks!

Here is a link to a large image for manipulation and a closer look. You may want to download it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xg...?usp=sharing

TOP LEFT LOW RES:

UPDATE: Another clue may be in the "50" at bottom...
Send note to Staff
Whatever you see is for sale, just email me an honest offer
Edited by souldjer777 - 07/13/2020 3:14 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6859 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It wasn't perfectly wiped, so a slight bluish tinge showed up on some of the paper. It happened a lot, actually.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
415 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are too many shapes for this to be the remainder of unwiped ink but I'll be darned if I can tell what it is.
Edited by souldjer777 - 07/14/2020 07:18 am
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
this stamp shows 4 position dots and appropriate layout lines. it does also have some plate wash. another possibility is that it was laid down on a poorly prepared previously used plate, but imo that is a long shot. comparison to another example pf the same title and denomination could help to eliminate that. another long shot is a slight contact of the transfer roll at the time of laydown, bur I don't think so.it is most likely caused by poor wiping.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
696 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   12:45 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rorschach test! - fail.

Looks like unwiped ink to me.
Learn More...
8275 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   1:30 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Human brains are wired to seek patterns. The Science Of Patterns
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6859 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Observing patterns in stamps is something that I am very good at; I suspect that is one reason that I collect double transfers. I usually see them easily.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lackemacher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is position 35 early state, ink in margin is just plate wash.
Valued Member
415 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One last image - if anyone can ever figure this out. Thank you for politely telling me I'm seeing things - It may be... but I don't think so.

Edited by souldjer777 - 07/21/2020 11:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5971 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your answer lies in the post above yours with the plate position identified.
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
one last comment on margin markings......the rocking in of the plate caused bulges to appear in the margins. these were not always completely removed and will show up when the plate was not wiped properly prior to printing.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 560Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05