Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Mark The Stamps You Have In The Scott Pocket Catalog? (See Pictures)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 455Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add niosurfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Roberto59 https://www.stampcommunity.org/pop_...lay&id=15649 shared his very interesting system to keep a record of his stamps:

I was thinking about using it. However, I would like to mark that on the Scott Pocket catalog itself, instead of using an excel spreadsheet.

Not sure how to do that yet, but first I need to find out how the Scott Pocket catalog is intended to be marked. Does anybody know? What do I have to mark on the squares below:

Send note to Staff
Edited by niosurfer - 07/13/2020 7:16 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2831 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
niosurfer,

You have stated in other recent threads that you are just getting into US stamps. My advice would be to keep any inventory system simple ... very simple ... or you will become a slave to your record keeping process and not spend as much time enjoying your stamps. Every collector has different goals and interests, thus there is no perfect system which fits every collector. Any truly good system is instantly understandable to the user without any need to look back at a chart and match colors or numbers.

For an example of a fairly simple marking system, for mint stamps, give the front a letter grade of A, B, C, D, or F for centering and over-all appearance and a plus, check, or minus for never hinged, hinged, no gum, respectively. That way an "A+" stamp is the goal ... very well-centered and never hinged.

For used, the same A through F for centering, followed by plus, check, minus, for the eye appeal of the cancel.

As your collection grows, then you might want to revisit whatever marking system you pick and refine it to more closely match the way your collecting has evolved.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

You have stated in other recent threads that you are just getting into US stamps. My advice would be to keep any inventory system simple ... very simple ... or you will become a slave to your record keeping process and not spend as much time enjoying your stamps. Every collector has different goals and interests, thus there is no perfect system which fits every collector. Any truly good system is instantly understandable to the user without any need to look back at a chart and match colors or numbers.

For an example of a fairly simple marking system, for mint stamps, give the front a letter grade of A, B, C, D, or F for centering and over-all appearance and a plus, check, or minus for never hinged, hinged, no gum, respectively. That way an "A+" stamp is the goal ... very well-centered and never hinged.

For used, the same A through F for centering, followed by plus, check, minus, for the eye appeal of the cancel.

As your collection grows, then you might want to revisit whatever marking system you pick and refine it to more closely match the way your collecting has evolved.

Good advice, thanks! I'll start simple for now :)

I guess those squares in the pocket guide is just for you to mark with an "X" and that's it? Any other mark you have to do it somewhere else. Or maybe I can fit letters inside those small boxes :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2831 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a simple "X" might do for now, but is unlikely to satisfy for very long.

The example you show is problematic. It could be a 756 from the special printing sheets of 200, a 751 trimmed from the souvenir sheet, or a 769, trimmed from the special printing of the souvenir sheets. And the gum (or absence) doesn't absolutely prove the ID either.
Valued Member
45 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrentAbba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used the five columns as follows (imagine them numbered left to right 1-5:

Col 1 used in excellent condition
2 used but I want to upgrade (heavy cancel, hinged, bad centering etc)
3 skipped
4 mint but want an upgrade (maybe hinged or off center)
5 mint never hinged well centered

That way I could see any stamp marked on the outside two columns (1 or 5) were keepers, anything else was waiting to be upgraded.

Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That way I could see any stamp marked on the outside two columns (1 or 5) were keepers, anything else was waiting to be upgraded.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Nevertheless, you almost always want to upgrade from used to mint, no? So whatever you have marked at 1 is also a candidate for an upgrade to mint. Or no?
Edited by niosurfer - 07/13/2020 11:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4089 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is so wrong with a beautifully cancelled used stamp? I find the educational value quite appealing and no gum worries.

Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/14/2020 03:20 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4957 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I mark catalogues, I simply put a tick against used or otherwise use the standard European notation - two stars for unmounted mint, one star for mint, star in brackets for unused. American nomenclature differs. And no, mint to used isn't an upgrade - they're just different.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

What is so wrong with a beautifully cancelled used stamp?

When I was collecting Brazil, I found that, unless the stamp is old/rare enough to be valuable no matter what, people tend to focus entirely on mint stamps, specially for the commemoratives. Not sure why is that. Maybe because of the higher value or because of preference.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
937 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know how the five boxes were intended to be used, but my own practice was to fill in one box for used in excellent condition, two for mint in excellent condition. If there was anything wrong with the stamp, I had a series of letter codes to indicate the various flaws: A = missing perfs, B = severely off-center, C = straight edge, etc. If my writing implement has a fine enough tip, I can write very small letters very neatly, so I would write the letter codes with a very sharp pencil in the boxes in the catalog.

I've used the past tense here, but it's actually still a valid and up-to-date checklist of my U.S. collection, as far as it goes (I have the 1980 edition). But since I've filled nearly all the spaces in my album with MNH examples from the years 1931 to 2005, and I have a separate, one-page checklist for what I'm actively buying (1922-1930), I rarely refer to the checklist in this catalog anymore, except to update it with the occasional new acquisition.
Valued Member
45 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrentAbba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For my 19th century issues, I am quite happy with a cleanly cancelled, well centered used copy. 20th century issues are all mint. If I happen upon a mint 19th century stamp for the album, I don't remove the marking for the used copy (which I move out of my main album into a secondary all used album).
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 455Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05