Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pop Quiz: Mint Never Hinged...

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 568Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
242 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Andyrich74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ecuador-co...AOSwAX9e-ikE

I'll just let this one speak for itself. Took me a second.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
389 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Seller does not accept returns" - that's an immediate STOP RIGHT THERE for me. I refuse to buy from any seller who does not accept returns.

Add to that, the seller has only 2 feedbacks.

PASS!

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6859 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He has more similar to that one. He has this, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/rare-us-1c...AOSwPxdfAL7k
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4409 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You see more of this on eBay these days. Either they don't know...don't care...or whatever.
Valued Member
Canada
58 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone given him the benefit of the doubt and asked him if the stamps are fixed to the page or merely placed on it? If they are just placed there, they could be MNH, but I rather doubt that is the case.

I find uboatnut's comment interesting about not buying from someone who will not accept returns. As a retiree who is starting to sell off my stuff, the last thing I would want is returns. I'll give a refund if need be, but I certainly wouldn't want the extra expense and hassles of returns.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
389 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PMStamp - You are a unique seller; I would buy from you under those conditions.

I have yet to see any "no returns" sellers say anything about giving refunds. That would sound like an open invitation to a buyer to claim what he got was different from what was described. He gets a refund AND keeps the stamp because the seller doesn't want any returns. Bad business model, IMO.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1405 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   12:39 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
San Jose? Maybe the seller is an eBay employee.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rich60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its magic - bad magic
Valued Member
Learn More...
242 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I asked how these stamps were MNH when they were hinged to the page, the reply was (verbatim) "The stamp clean and very good condictoin."

Wasn't going to buy these any way, but just another one of those "oh geesh" moments.
Learn More...
8275 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   09:29 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many people commonly misuse the term 'shade' when talking about color. To those who have studied colors specifically use the term 'shade' to means a darker value of a color and 'tint' to mean lighter value of the same color.

The term 'mint' is often used by non-stamp collectors to mean a stamp in great condition. But those who study stamps use the term 'mint' specifically to mean an unused stamp with gum.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1405 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   9:39 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

The Scott catalog only uses the term "mint" in connection with never hinged stamps that have full original gum. Unfortunately, eBay uses the term "mint" in connection with unused hinged original gum stamps and stamps that have lost their original gum. Abbreviations used by eBay in their "Quality" filter may not match dealer usage making the filter almost useless. Many dealers ignored the Quality item specific until it became mandatory. Older listings are not likely use any of the now required item specifics.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4970 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   01:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In Britain, "mint" means a stamp with original gum that has previously been hinged. In France, "neuf" means the same thing. Scott's usage is not universal.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4636 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see "Unmounted Mint" a lot in GB auction descriptions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1318 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The term "mint", as we see, can have different meanings, but the designator "NH" is unambiguous--no way could the stamps in OP's photo be "MNH".

My take is that "mint" should unambiguously mean "as issued by the post office" (i.e., in mint condition), which for stamps issued with gum would be full undisturbed OG in NH condition (unmounted mint). Anything else I would consider to be "unused" with descriptors for the presence/absence/condition of gum.
Learn More...
8275 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   11:50 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not everyone is a stamp collector, 'stamp laypeople' might simply use the term 'mint' to mean a stamp in good condition. This is the same way that 'color laypeople' misuse the word 'shade' when they actual mean another hue.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4970 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, "unmounted mint" is the GB term. Of course, unmounted mint or mint never hinged can be anything but "post office fresh" ... None of this matters much if you define your terms and then include any appropriate qualifiers, eg "unmounted mint, but toned" etc.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 568Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05