Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Member And New To Philately

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 392Next Topic  

United States
0 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stampminer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have just found my way to stamp collecting through sports cards and I have a very small collection. I purchased some stamp albums with stamps included in envelopes. I was wondering of it's better to leave the stamps in the envelopes or paste them into the books. I can post pictures if requested or necessary. Thanks for any and all advice! Stampminer
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   01:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Suggestion.
Purchase a cheap stamp album, and mount your stamps using hinges.
Play around, make mistakes, then gradually come to prefer a certain country and carry on from there.
Read posts here regularly.

How to mount a stamp in an album
(Hinges $5 per 1000 )

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
0 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampminer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I should do an intro first. I'm from the beautiful state of Oregon, USA.I collect mostly USA stamps but have started collecting global stamps in a couple albums. I'm a noob at this but find it fascinating. I will post some pics to show what I have and need to fill. Thanks for adding me to your forum! Stampminer
United States
0 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   01:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampminer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, rod222, for the advice! And where can I purchase these stamp hinges? It seems there are no stamp collectors in my area.
Also, is there something I can do to remove a mildew odor from some stamps without damaging them?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   05:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And where can I purchase these stamp hinges?

eBay should have millions.
These are what you need PRINZ

Next step 1. Practice, practice practice hinging
LIGHTLY dab your hinge with the slightest of moisture

Take damaged stamps and practice, hinge the stamp
wait an hour then try and lift off
If the stamp lifts without damage you are on your way

If you rip paper, start again.

Edited by rod222 - 07/14/2020 05:45 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   05:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, is there something I can do to remove a mildew odor from some stamps without damaging them?

They may already be damaged.
Stamps need to be bone dry, or best as can be in your location.
If they are dry, and smell, you can try leaving in a shoebox with Mothballs
(not touching) for a week or so.

Mothball scent disappears over time

If they show signs of damage (brown spots = "foxing" ) then they need a soak in a WEAK solution of bleach (search this forum for details)
(few drops from an eye dropper in a flat dish of water, remove after 60 seconds and rinse in cold clean water

Edited by rod222 - 07/14/2020 05:52 am
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   06:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4962 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe start by buying a decent 64-page stock-book to sort out your stamps, then decide what you want ti save and how you want to present them.
Valued Member
256 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not clear from your post what stamps are in the envelopes. I would not always - personally, I would never - go for the hinges. If the stamps do not have gum that is not really an issue. If they are old and have full original gum without a trace of an earlier hinge, it might not be the best choice. Buying a stock book and finding out what you have would be a good starting point.
Edited by NSK - 07/14/2020 08:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1319 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   09:20 am  Show Profile Check CanadaStamp's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
100% agree with NSK. I would not start with albums and hinges. I'd start with stock books to sort and hold, and as your knowledge collection grows and matures - then decide on how you want to store. Mounts are best for mint, but also work for used - mind you they can be expensive.I never liked stamp hinges though they work OK - especially if you have a "film" separation between stamp pages if you know what I mean. Go to Stamp Auction Network and see if you can find any auctions that might have mounts included - they are a very common auction item - as are albums. As the number of collectors is declining there's LOTS of supplies available for low cost. But here, shipping might cost you more than the supplies items you buy.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2802 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!!
Al
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampminer

There is never an off season for tamp collecting. Enjoy. Do not hesitate to keep asking questions. Remember, there is no right or wrong way to collect. Concentrate on what you enjoy most.

United States
2 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moonwalker925 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to our wonderful hobby of a lifetime. At the risk of sounding like an old man....... when I started out in 1971_____ I went with a high quality Lighthouse stock book, which kept me going for decades while I built my collection .

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
437 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with what others have said about stockbooks. I don't use anything else. There are many sorts. Search for them online. And any questions you have, this forum is the place for knowledgeable answers and advice.
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the SCF family!

Scott
Member APS, PNC3, AFDCS, PSS

Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org)

Coil Line (club newsletter) Editor & Webmaster

Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 392Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05