Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello From The Midwest

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 290Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   01:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add KCMO to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Yo! I've been savings stamps that I get in the mail, and saving a single or block from every mint sheet that I've bought for about the last 12 years. I've amassed quite a lot and am finally getting around to organizing it now that my kids are starting to grow up.

I'm interested in collecting some of the older US stamps as well, and around 2010 got a HE Harris Liberty Volume I Part I album and have recently supplemented it with part II and some yearly supplements as well. I had purchased a set of the Famous Americans series on eBay back then, but now wonder if they are legit. Which is one of the reasons I am here - I'm looking to find out reputable ways to acquire more stamps, and learn more about stamps in general.

I'm also trying to figure out what direction I want to take with my collection. The possibilities are endless - which is a blessing and a curse. My favorite stamps would be the two-toned engraved stamps like the Pan-American Exposition ones (granted those spaces are not filled in the album and probably won't be anytime some). I'm thinking I might do that for US and international stamps.

Finally, I recently was passed down about 150 international stamps my grandmother had saved for 60 years, which is one of the my reasons for getting back into this. I also recently found out that my younger sister has collected stamps as well. We all liked stamps but never knew the others did too until recently.

Looking forward to learning more in this forum. Thanks!

KCMO
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

Dale
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
241 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. You'll find this place full of information and good luck on getting started.

Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KCMO You have found a great group of friendly folks ready to share your collecting adventures. Collect what gives you the most pleasure. Enjoy.
Edited by hoosierboy - 07/14/2020 7:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
341 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.

What gives you pause now about the Famous Americans set you bought?
Feel free to post a scan or two if you have some specific doubts which you would like other eyes to glance at.
United States
1 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   01:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KCMO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I'm posting this image in regard to the question about what gives me pause about the Famous American stamps I purchased. It is the fact that the perforation.holes are not entirely punched through. 8 of the 35 stamps have some of the small discs still attached. Is this sort of thing common? Does it indicate the stamps might be fabrications? I don't see this on any of the other stamps in my collection from the same time period, which is why I'm wondering.

Thanks everyone for the welcome messages too.

KCMO
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2802 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome !!
Al
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi KCMO,

Your stamps have 'blind perfs' these are common on legitimate stamps, especially in the first half in the past century.
The only problem wis that if you try to remove the disks you may damage the stamp.

Quote:
My favorite stamps would be the two-toned engraved stamps like the Pan-American Exposition ones (granted those spaces are not filled in the album and probably won't be anytime some). I'm thinking I might do that for US and international stamps.

Bicolored engraved stamps are very popular would make interesting collection.

If you decide to try it, you will need access to Scott catalogs to see what is available. You can usually find these catalogs at your public library.
Also, search this site for 'engraved' posts, some beautiful stamps are posted.

You will not find a printed album for this type of collection.

Instead you can use good quality stock pages or stock books (search this site) or you can make/print your own pages (search this site).

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 290Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05