Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Bizarre Thing Happening To My Steiner Pages

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 781Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1045 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am using the 2010 version of the Steiner Album Pages
The File is changing fonts by it's self

They are changing fonts from this which was printed a week ago

To this which was printed today

How is this happening???
How do I correct it???
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
16 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought would be that you are pointing to a different default printer/device than you were on the first printing and the two don't support all the same fonts. If one isn't supported, the printer has not choice but to default to something else.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
410 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It could happen if the original was in some non standard font which is now not on your computer and the computer had to make a substitution but I would not have expected the change from sans serif to serif fonts.

Have you changed your system of installed any new programs. What program did yu use to print these pages ? A few more details would be useful

AQ
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4970 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Much more attractive font, though!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1045 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not the case... same computer and same printer.
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Update and run some anti-virus software.
Learn More...
8277 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   03:34 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Software code runs the same way every time. As others have indicated, PDFs dynamically fetch fonts and if it cannot find the font used originally in the doc it will use 'best match'. The font are common files on your computer used by every application.
Typically the PDF reader will tell you if it cannot find the font when you first open the file but I am unsure if every PDF reader does this. As james said, fonts are also dictated by the default printer configuration. It has to be something with the file, it looks like Arial. Do you recall the font name you used and have you looked to see if that font file is still located on your computer? (C:\Windows\Fonts folder)
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2951 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steiner pages use Helvetica as their font, and the font is not embedded in the PDF. According to his website, he uses a really old computer and Pagemaker to make these files. PDFs have progressed a LOT since PageMaker was discontinued. Did you make any changes to the fonts on your computer? What operating system?
Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com
Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society Member #1212: http://www.upns.org
Eire Philatelic Association Member #2869: http://www.eirephilatelicassoc.org/
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2951 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And what are you using to print the pages out?
Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com
Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society Member #1212: http://www.upns.org
Eire Philatelic Association Member #2869: http://www.eirephilatelicassoc.org/
Valued Member
Canada
235 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   12:45 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Timm,
You don't mention whether the problem only manifests when the file is printed or also when it is viewed.

Either way, as far as I am aware, the Steiner pages have the fonts embedded in the PDF file, therefore, it is not necessary for the fonts to be installed on the user's computer.

Assuming that it is only when printed, it is probably that a setting has changed as a result of an operating system or printer driver update.

When ready to print your PDF, in the printer dialogue box select the printer properties. You should see something similar to this, but it is very much printer dependent as to the exact layout.

Under that advanced tab, there is a "Specify Font" button, pressing this displays the "Specify Font" dialogue box which is shown open in the image.
You want to select: "Always Use TrueType Fonts" rather than the "Substitute TrueType Fonts with Printer Fonts" which is currently selected in the image.

Unfortunately, this only gives the general idea, as the location and the exact wording of the buttons, tabs and options will depend on your printer and operating system version.
Hopefully, this helps in getting your problem solved,
Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
Valued Member
Canada
235 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   6:44 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
apastuszak wrote:

Quote:
Steiner pages use Helvetica as their font, and the font is not embedded in the PDF.

clivel wrote:

Quote:
as far as I am aware, the Steiner pages have the fonts embedded in the PDF file

It turns out that we are both right, some albums have the fonts embedded, others not. I guess that he must have changed at some point.
Clive
Pillar Of The Community
795 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Steiner pages use Helvetica as their font."

I just checked my saved Steiner files, and the font used is Arial. Did Bill Steiner change it recently?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1045 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   02:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It happens when viewed and printed.

I always thought Steiner pages were done in Arial???
Valued Member
Canada
235 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   02:37 am  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does the problem occur with only one album or have you tried a few Steiner albums?

What are you using to view the file, if it is, for example, Microsoft Edge, have you tried installing Adobe Reader https://get.adobe.com/reader/ instead?

Have you tried any other PDFs - not from Steiner to see if they have the same issue?

All the Steiner albums I have seen use Helvetica, not Arial, depending on the PDF viewer you are using, there should be a menu option to view the file properties, one of the properties is the font, it will also show if the font is embedded or not.

Sorry for so many questions, but it would help to try and narrow down the problem.
Clive

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2806 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Early Steiner pages had Arial MT subsetted in the PDF per Adobe's practice when generating PDFs At some point, the fnt changed to Helvetica.

Check this older thread.

http://goscf.com/t/61770
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1045 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've always used Adobe. I use Google Chrome.
I've checked the file again this morning and it is back to normal.
I've done nothing to accomplish this.

I'm just wondering what's next?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 781Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05