Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Kind Of Rpo Cancel Is This???

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 517Next Topic  
Valued Member
Germany
32 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add grisuhh62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I found a cover that looks not very interesting. But on the back there is a RPO postmark I never saw before. I have the information that in the "United States Railway Post Office Postmark Catalog 1864 to 1977 Vol 1-3" it cannot be found.
There is on the buttom a Name. Is this possibly a (private) postmark from a Clerk or a station agent?? I do not have any literature about this.
Can anybody help me??
Regards
Juergen
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30201 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Juergen,
just a FYI
I checked an executive order, for persons about to retire in 1932
NY and Pitts RPO )New York and Pittsburg)
A W Zuck was not mentioned
(around 20 other employees)
May save you a search.

Does the "Tr 39" have significance? "Trainee" for example (pun not intended)

He may be cited in a later print?
example
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 07/15/2020 6:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
grisuhh62

This is a style of RPO mark used by a clerk to show they handled the registered package envelope containing registered mail. It was used as evidence documenting the "chain of custody" trail requirement for registered mail. Was your cover registered?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3063 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Short answer:
It is a "rubber road stamp", to quote postal terminology, see below.

Long answer:
The literature is not very helpful, but there are some short references. Specifically, the following Railway Mail publication:

Which mentions the "rubber road stamp" in the 4th scan as part of the description of the facing slip, which require the name of the clerk:

Facing slips showing round and straight-line versions of the rubber road stamp:

Also used by railway mail clerks on forms:

Also, the 1940 Postal Laws & Regulations volume noting backstamping requirements on registered and special delivery mail:

The examples I have handy are on "Special Delivery - Airmail" covers
Example 1, front and back:

Example 2, front and back:

Thus I would guess that the original poster's cover is also a "Special Delivery - Airmail" cover. It would be interesting to see full scans of the front and back.

I do not see any references on how to order one or whether the USPOD or the clerk paid for it.

The "Tr 39" is the Trip number.

Add: 2 straight line versions with the clerk name on a registry jacket from 1909:

Edited by John Becker - 07/15/2020 8:16 pm
Valued Member
Germany
32 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   05:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grisuhh62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You all for these very detailed informations.
Yes, it is an Air Mail and Special Delivery cover. I uploaded the front and the back of the cover.
These images are from the offer on eBay where I bought it. It will last until I have it.

Exists any publication about such postmarks from RPO clerks?? I fear it does not. Because I think it would be too extensive.
Regards
Juergen
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30201 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, great response from John.
Juergen,
I went in via the back door,
you can get 1000's of names of US postal works, and their duties
via the "Executive order" freely available on the internet.

These are the people about to officially retire I am guessing.
That's the best I can do,
I dare say, someone somewhere may have collected and listed those RPO impressions.
Edited by rod222 - 07/16/2020 07:26 am
Valued Member
Germany
32 Posts
Posted 07/19/2020   05:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grisuhh62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
sorry for being late.
Many thanks for all these informations. Today I have not decided to collect such RPO's or other. The only ones I collect are the RPO Cancels of the Canal Zone.
I do not know what is in the future.
Best wishes
Juergen
Valued Member
Germany
32 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grisuhh62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, it's me again.

I found this on the page of the "TPO & Seapost Society - USARPO".

"A steel postmarker assigned to the Clerk-in-Charge was ordinarily the one used to postmark mail within a RPO. However, Railway Postal Clerks (RPCs) were required to have a "personal postmark" device. Usually a rubber stamp, it showed their name, work assignment location, train/trip/tour (abbreviated "TR") number, and date. Imprints were made upon facing slips, pouch/sack labels, and official correspondence.

On occasion, these markings may also appear on the rear of special delivery or registered mail envelopes, indicating that the clerk performed distribution of that mail piece. Rubber stamps after the mid 1950s were provided by the Post Office Department by requisition. Prior to that era clerks procured or made their own personal postmarkers, but at their own expense. Those often continued in use for as long as the clerk worked on that route."

Have anyone an idea where I find more information about these "personal postmarks"?? On the page, for example, of the "Mobile Post Office Society" I found nothing, also at the publications.

These quote of "1940 Postal Laws & Regulations volume" by John Becker did not say anything about "personal postmarks".

Can it be true that there is no publication about these postmarks? I cannot believe it.

I will be very grateful for any hint in any way

Regards

Juergen
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3063 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would interpret "rubber road stamp" in the PL&R scans above to equate to "personal postmarks".

There are many postmark types/styles for which comprehensive published listings do not exist, particularly among specialty and auxiliary markings. Research, cataloging and publishing are ongoing tasks for all facets of the hobby. Identify an unpublished area and write about it!
Valued Member
Germany
32 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grisuhh62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@John Becker
I guess I am on the way!! When I saw the results of my researches to this topic, it seems to me that there is nothing publication be made until today. It is very difficult to get more information as written in this threat.
So I will keep looking for information and will buy the one or the other cover with one of these postmarks. And, perhaps, some times it will be a "publication". We will see.
Thanks for Your hint!!
Juergen
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 517Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05