Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Russia.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 2,528Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Second row from the bottom, on the left (above Hitler). This is a Bulgarian revenue stamp, not Russian.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34157 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes.
Thanks CP,
mounted especially so I can lift these off, and place elsewhere without inconvenience.
Valued Member
Finland
145 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   02:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuikka to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two cues to recognize the country of the Bulgarian revenue are the coat of arms and currency lev.
Valued Member
Belarus
122 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   03:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vicaf60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The description for the Ostland overprint (the stamp with Hitler) is somewhat wrong.
It's not Russia under German occupation as the Ostland stamps were never used in the teritory of Russia proper, only in the Baltic states, mostly Latvia, and some part of Belarus.
I know that the USSR was commonly named Russia, yet, the correct description should indicate either the USSR, or the Baltic states - see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reich...riat_Ostland

The cinderella with general Alekseev is from a propaganda set that gives a rise to many disputes among Russian collectors as to its origin. The prevailing opinion (as far as I can judge) is that it had nothing to do with Osvag (the stamps contain too many misprints typical of a foreigner who does not know Russian) and, in fact, it is a bogus issue prepared and printed in Italy after the end of the Civil war in Russia
Edited by vicaf60 - 12/03/2021 03:14 am
Valued Member
Belarus
122 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   03:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vicaf60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And here is the 1967 stamp with the label shown, an original issue and the overprinted one:

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34157 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   04:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the correct description should indicate either the USSR, or the Baltic states -

Correction noted and addressed and corrected. Thank you.

This is how incorrect information gets passed on.
My Steiner Page
Edited by rod222 - 12/03/2021 05:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6122 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   06:22 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some interesting Russian material fir your files on the first four pages of Yvert's Delcampe offering -

https://www.delcampe.net/fr/prestig...Phila&page=4
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34157 Posts
Posted 12/30/2021   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Russia's First Stamp
Gummed both sides
First Instance I have come across "Printed not by the Congreve Process"
(Presuming the embossing portion)
Image: Wiki
Author Dr, V Bochmann
Philatelic Journal of Great Britain
November 1st 1919

Page 129 to follow.

Edited by rod222 - 12/30/2021 6:29 pm
Valued Member
285 Posts
Posted 12/31/2021   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

To add to your thread a set of airmail from the 30's that I received as a gift. C69-C75 MNH.

I am the second owner and it was bought in those time buy the fellow collector. Paid 1.05$ CA (Dealer in New York).

Hornet
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7440 Posts
Posted 12/31/2021   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Russia, Scott 1, is an extremely rare bird in mint condition. One of the great Russian rarities with a cv of $65,000. The example below was recently offered by Cherrystone:

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34157 Posts
Posted 12/31/2021   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the contributions, gentlemen.
Nice stamps Hornet!
Page 129 of previous post.
Chalkiness of paper.
HOW TO READ THE WATERMARKS
Edited by rod222 - 12/31/2021 9:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7440 Posts
Posted 12/31/2021   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
C75a to go with Hornet's set:

Valued Member
285 Posts
Posted 01/01/2022   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rogdcam,

Indeed! A nice bloc! I received it also.

Here 1931 set paid 1.05$ CA in 1931 via postal order in New York. C26-C29.

Hornet
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7440 Posts
Posted 01/01/2022   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hornet - Russian airmails are some of my very favorite stamps and your Polar Bear set is just great. It is also a lot of fun to see how available and inexpensive these were back in the day. $1.05 is now equal to around $20. Still a great bargain. I recently bid on, and lost, a set of these in MNH corner margin blocks. The hammer price was 1,000 Euro's!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7440 Posts
Posted 01/01/2022   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In a similar vein here is a Mystic approval set from the 1940's that I recently posted in another thread. The Spartacist set now has a cv of around $560.

Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 2,528Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05