Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Stamps Be Removed From Yellowed Album Pages?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 443Next Topic  
Valued Member

248 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I sometimes come across people selling stamps that have been affixed to photo album pages like those popular in the 1970s and 1980s that were not acid free and have since yellowed.

How easy to difficult is it to remove stamps from such albums?

An example is below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ST-VINCENT...AOSwj-Ze56Wa

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4181 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is the reverse I would be concerned about. Never have I removed any stamps from these albums but have seen many messed up backs.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1007 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I avoid those type of collections. Usually the wax leaves an oil stain of lines on the back of the stamps. You see it a lot on FDC's too.

Maybe a little warmth will soften the wax, but it may migrate to the stamp back if it had not before.I wonder if the freezer trick may help break them away easier? Time to experiment with the cheapies first!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
929 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what a stamp will look like, eventually, when left in those "magnetic" photo albums. I avoid them at all costs now. If I do happen to get some in a collection, I just toss them if the stamps are common. I've managed to salvage some mint US, but only for using as postage.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like a photo album page. I would stay away, the stamps will almost certainly be stained and otherwise damaged when removed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1052 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes these stamps can be saved by using "Bestine" a rubber cement solvent.
Soak the stamps in a well ventilated area for 30 seconds and then set out to dry. They'll dry completely in just a couple of minutes.

Pillar Of The Community
4939 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The American Library Association publishes guidance for removing old photos from "magnetic" or sticky photo albums and it ain't pretty. It includes using dental floss to pry them off. A stamp collection mounted in these albums is likely toast. I have dealt with more than a few over the years processing large auction purchases and while some stamps did escape unscathed the vast majority were consigned to the depths (dumpster depths).
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 443Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05