Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tell Me About This R13

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 262Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Phillystamper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm just a beginner on revenue stamps and would like to start adding a small group from an ancient approval book I bought years ago from an estate to a easy stamp album i'm making. Better late than never eh? There are several R13s, 2 are a paler blue while the 3rd is darker more prussian blue.This one looks unused to me but lacks gum. It's still hinged into the book.
I don't have access to a scott catalogue at the moment.
is this a double transfer? or was it inked with a little too much exuberance? ballpark value? Scott number correct?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4906 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   12:27 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not believe this is a double transfer, just inking anomalies

It's the milky blue shade of R13c, similar to the milky blue of R97. I personally think there should be three color listings for R13 in the same manner of R97, but every time I bring it up, there's resistance.

In my opinion the milky blue shade is just as common as the normal blue. It's only the ultramarine (R13e) that is truly scarce.

Here is an image of the 3 R13 color shades scanned together. From left to right:

1. Ultramarine (R13e)
2. Milky blue (R13c)
3. Blue (R13c)

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your help. So there is no designation for the milky blue vs the regular blue? They're both R13c's? Interesting as the colors are very distinctly different. Were they issued gummed? BTW If you right click on the image and open in a new tab the image is much bigger. What would value be for this one vs a pen cancelled one?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6941 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the paper was a bit too wet in spots when printed. Scott will never add the common shades to the first issues; it would add 2 more pages by itself. There is no question that a deliberate change occurred during the run of the first issue, the dark shades were made lighter and the light shades were made darker. This was in an attempt to make cleaning and reuse more difficult.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 262Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05