Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Main Problem With Slowdowns

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 13 / Views: 1,559Next Topic  
Forum Dad
USA
1552 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The main problem with the site slowdowns are large topics.

Monitoring the DB, the biggest culprit appears to be the New Purchases topic, I just locked it.

Please let's just everyone start your own new topic with each of your new purchases, it's much better that way anyway. You can put it in the correct forum with it's own descriptive title.

If monitoring reveals other major large topic culprits I may lock those also, so please don't think it's just me being a jerk.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
393 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Bobby. We've needed that for quite awhile.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's interesting,
I always assumed multiple threads would be the offender.
Forum Dad
USA
1552 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Large topics lock the DB tables while calculating paging.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3569 Posts
Posted 07/17/2020   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby. Not that I want you to change this, but I have noticed slowdowns also occur when I look at my account (or anyone else), and ask to "View Recent Posts". That must do a whole lot of searching, and I'm sure it slows down the system to a great degree.

Just my input.

Thanks for all of the great work.
Forum Dad
USA
1552 Posts
Posted 07/18/2020   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'm aware of that also. That seems to just slow the specific user down though, not everyone like the large topics, so not as important.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1414 Posts
Posted 07/18/2020   1:14 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Large topics lock the DB tables while calculating paging.

Which database platform is being used? Why would recalculating paging be required except after appending or updating or deleting a post?
Forum Dad
USA
1552 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very sorry folks but I've had to temporarily remove the Collecting by Engraver topic. It's causing all kinds of slowdowns because it's so large. It's not deleted, once the DB is upgraded it will be restored.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1536 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bobby, seems like an excellent idea.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
393 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible for the forum software to limit the maximum number of posts a thread can contain?
Forum Dad
USA
1552 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure, but it won't be an issue at all once we move the DB to MSSQL so I'd rather just temporarily disable the topics that are a problem. I'm hoping by the end of next month it will be done. It's not something I can do myself, I've saved the money to pay to have it done, just trying to coordinate with him when, he's very busy.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
44 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   02:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What DB are you on now?

Perhaps you could just open a new "latest purchases" every time you get beyond whatever page limit you think is efficient (named with an ascending or descending suffix to tell them apart - oldest from most recent). It is such a popular topic - prefer it not disappear.
Forum Dad
USA
1552 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I said, it's only temporary.

But also let me ask you this.... How many stamps in those hundreds of pages do you think are worthy of their own topics? I'd bet a lot. I have the statistics on these kinds of "Show me...." topics and they royally suck. Once a page is done and a new one starts anything previous almost never gets seen again. Seriously, they are "lost."

The forum and it's education value would be MUCH better if every one of those stamps had it's own topic, with it's own relevant title, in it's own relevant forum. Much better.
Pillar Of The Community
803 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I generally read posts beginning with the original question or comment so I can make sense of the discussion. But some posts like "Show me your . . . " posts aren't discussions, but just collections of images. So for those I'd be unlikely to do that. And I'd be especially unlikely to do that if the post was beyond a dozen or more pages. Who's got time for that amount of browsing?

Which makes me ask: Could there be some sort of programmed limit to the length of any post, so that once it hit, say, 10 pages, it automatically ended? It would be possible to make that ending show a comment like "If you're interested in continuing this discussion, you will need to begin a new post that refers to it." That would make all posts shorter, and you'd still allow continued images, comments, and so forth. Not sure if something like that is possible to design, though?

Replies: 13 / Views: 1,559Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05