Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Would Like Some Help With This Block Of The 3 Cent Nebraska Overprint 672

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,152Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
28 Posts
Posted 07/18/2020   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add adamscheer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I acquired this block some 40+ years ago ian accumulation of Kans/Nebr overprints. It was marked as missing a period after Nebr on the right side two stamps.

Any thoughts on this?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4271 Posts
Posted 07/18/2020   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you checked the gum breakers on the reverse? Scan please.

http://riversidestamps.com/KansNebrFakes.shtml
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/18/2020 8:20 pm
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 07/18/2020   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adamscheer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have checked the gum breakers on the reverse. There is on breaker on each stamp. attached is a scan of the back. The breakers are hard to see on it though.

2nd image is taken at an angle trying to show gum breakers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7223 Posts
Posted 07/18/2020   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good; one gumbreaker per stamp plus the vertical breakers.
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 07/18/2020   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adamscheer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The attached two images are magnified images of the areas where the period should be after Nebr.

Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 07/19/2020   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adamscheer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that the more experienced collectors on this forum have had a chance to look at this posting, I would like to pose a few questions to them.

Do you think that this is a genuine Nebraska overprint without a period after Nebr in the right two stamps?

If you think it is genuine, any idea as to value since this variety is currently not listed in Scott Catalog and it comes up only every few years at auction.

Do you think I should go through the expense of having this expertized?

If you think this item is not genuine could you please share why with me so that I can learn more about this.

Thanks in advance for your help and insights.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
740 Posts
Posted 07/19/2020   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot see a period on one of the stamps but Retroreveal show a very good potential on the other.

Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 07/19/2020   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adamscheer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you mean that the lower picture of the two has the potential of a period, I believe what I am seeing in the reveal photo is too low for where the period should be on a normal stamp. I am attaching a closeup of the Nebr. with period from the top left of the block to make the point.
You can see that the bottom of the period is level with the bottom of Nebr

Pillar Of The Community
United States
740 Posts
Posted 07/19/2020   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see you point. I looked at some on Seigel and found one where most on the block also appeared to have no period. It wasn't mentioned in the sale info though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7223 Posts
Posted 07/19/2020   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bottom scanned stamp clearly has a period to the left of the numeral. I suspect that the top one does as well; probably it would be visible under the VSE6000 is it was sent to be expertised.
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 07/19/2020   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adamscheer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After revcollectors post I went and checked the block again and found I had inadveretantly uploaded the wrong image for the bottom stamp. Attached is the correct image for the bottom right stamp. My apologies to the forum.
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 07/19/2020   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adamscheer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caper123 if you could be so kind as to do your retrofeel on the last stamp I posted it would be helpful.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
740 Posts
Posted 07/19/2020   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
adamscheer - running the last pic you supplied it almost appears as if the 'period' was once there. There is a shadow of it where it should be. Not sure what that means but it's possible it was removed somehow.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
740 Posts
Posted 07/19/2020   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ps - th
e last picture you supplied is the same as one of them before.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2478 Posts
Posted 07/19/2020   9:33 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen no period offered before, but am not so sure they are a recognized variety - I don't think there was a position on the plate where the period was missing, rather this was just a case of the period not inking. Also it is hard to see a small partial black period on a dark violet background.
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 07/19/2020   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adamscheer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caper123. Sorry abou the confusion. I had to use the tool online here to reduce the size of the pictures to below the 200KB limit and in the process got my pictures mixed up.

eyteonw3all. The variety has been rocognized before as there have been several certifcations issued by the expertizing services and the stamps have shown up in a number of auctions by Harmer and others.

So I will take another look at the picrues tomorrow and see if I should repost here before deciding what to do. Thanks for the help so far.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,152Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05