Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rare (?) Plate Block #21141 Of Scott #728 - 1c Century Of Progress - Fort Dearborn

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 351Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
Posted 07/19/2020   09:45 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add pascoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After inheriting a small plate block collection from my great grandmother, I picked up a copy of the Durland's Plate Block Catalog to help inventory the collection. I noticed several stamp issues have some PBs that catalog for higher values.

For Scott #728, plates 21141 and 21142 catalog for prices 8-10x that of the other plate numbers. I came across some PB# 21141 on eBay at a pretty low price and purchased them.

Can anyone inform me why those two PB #s have higher catalog values? I'm assuming scarcity. One resource I found online states that these two #s "were not used" and I cannot understand in what context they were not used.

Thank you for any insights ~ Pascoe
Send note to Staff
Mike Pascoe, PhD
https://linktr.ee/pascoe

Valued Member
177 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rare? No.

Tougher? Yes. So a good find if you grabbed it as a regular 728. Better Durland Numbers are usually associated with lower print runs but are issued so I am not sure of the reference to "unissued".

Durland is pretty accurate as to scarcity. That said, some numbers they claim to be common are hardly that and others that are supposedely difficult are not that tough.

Bob
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   8:59 pm  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bob!

What online communities, aside from this one, would you suggest advertising that I have these available for sale?

I'm specifically asking about communities interested in place blocks that would appreciate the ability to obtain this specific plate number.

Many thank for your expertise.

Mike
Mike Pascoe, PhD
https://linktr.ee/pascoe
Learn More...
8381 Posts
Posted 07/22/2020   9:05 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scarcity is one thing, demand is another. There are HPO covers that have fewer then a handful known to exist, you can find them in the $1 box.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 351Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05