Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

To Buy New Scott Catalogs Or Not...?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,002Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
815 Posts
Posted 07/23/2020   02:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And there's another way to do it. For nearly any country listed in the Scott catalogue, you can buy the latest catalogue pages on eBay removed from the catalogue. There are sellers who do this . I add a title page to mine and staple them together so I can have them when I work on the appropriate album. I don't do this for all countries, obviously, but not having to heft an enormous catalogue, being able to move the set of pages around easily, and having a very recent set of pages make paying $5-15 for a set of pages for some countries worth it. It's possible to have up-to-date catalogue pages for a few of your favorite collecting countries for very little expense.

For my general set, I prefer a fairly recent set of catalogues. I buy them used since Scott/Amos' new catalogue prices are out of my league. For some countries, I collect recent stamps which is one reason I want recent catalogues. And catalogue descriptions, numbers, and research sometimes change. An older set of catalogues from 20 years ago might not even have the correct catalogue numbers. They also might be lacking important recent information I need to purchase the correct stamp. I was astonished some years ago to note in a new catalogue I'd just bought that in my 50 year old Scott U.S. National album, for example, a number of very early stamps I'd never been able to afford (and whose blank spaces had always bothered me), were no longer even considered stamps! They were now thought to be "proofs". Oops! So they'd been decommissioned and given new numbers. What a nice feeling that was -- or I'd still be cluelessly looking for them. Even some modern stamps somewhat end up in the catalogue with non-consecutive numbers or minor "a" or "b" numbers they didn't have previously.

For me, those facts are reason enough to own fairly recent catalogues. When those catalogues are five or six years old, I'll replace them as I always have with newer used catalogues. It's possible not to pay a lot for each volume if you're patient enough.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by DrewM - 07/23/2020 02:10 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
545 Posts
Posted 07/23/2020   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good points, DrewM. I should have mentioned that I only collect up to around 1950. For newer stamps an old catalogue would obviously be a problem. And even as a collector of classics I've worried a little about editors changing catalogue numbers. Also true that the cost of a new set from Scott, as well as the sheer size and weight of the volumes, will drive many of us to all sorts of expedients. If ever I update again, I will at the very least be buying used and probably still around ten years old.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
Posted 07/23/2020   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Molokai to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tis true - there are so many online resources now most collectors can live well without a fresh Scott. Alas, I like books - as in real books - so update my USA Specialized every five years or so. I purchased 2018 a few weeks after 2019 appeared, got a bit of a discount. More difficult for worldwide collectors...
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 07/25/2020   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just wish they printed on demand catalogues of individual stamp issuers. Basically an ala carte situation. I wish they'd take a poll on that idea and get an idea if they'd sell more that way.
United States
4 Posts
Posted 07/25/2020   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pogopossum to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My catalog logic is this: I have a complete 2010/2012 set of Scott including the Classic and US specialized, all purchased used. I use them for identification, since I don't collect much beyond 2000 that works fine. For countries I collect, I buy an older specialized catalogs for more detailed identification (SG for Britain/Australia, Michel for Germany, Facit for Norway, and so on).

I don't own many stamps of value, so year to year fluctuations don't really matter to me. Should I acquire a stamp with a catalog value of say, $3000 (it happened once! Got it for $50!) based on my decade old Scott, I'll go online and see what the current value is.

I do update my Stamp Manage software yearly, and although the values are iffy, it gives me a ballpark for what I have inventoried. Helps with insurance. I do like having the paper option.
Valued Member
15 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tadas to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently upgraded from a 2014 set to 2017 (with a 2019 US A-B because the eBay price was lower than the comparable 2017!). I kept my 2017 Specialized and Classic Specialized. They work fine for ID purposes. For pricing, it tells me whether a stamp is a cheapo, a $1 to $20, a $21 to $100, a $101 to $500, or "Sorry, just looking". The exact price will vary by individual specimen anyway.

A friend and I had a deal going with a local dealer for a long while; every year the dealer bought a new set, and we took turns buying the year-old set (for $80 to $100). This ended when Scott rapidly raised the catalog prices during the teens, and the dealer no longer replaced annually.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or at minimum, declare the set to be twice the official number of volumes, none of that A and B crap, and sell those individually. I can state for the record that I would buy catalogues more often if they were sold individually instead of in pairs. For now, I just go the library and borrow for free. There's money being left on the table by Amos Pub.
Edited by BwanaBob - 08/13/2020 12:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1844 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everybody's needs are different depending on their cut-off date. My 1970 Stanley Gibbons works just fine for my King George VI collection.

Jack Kelley
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,002Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05