Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Togo "1919" S.c. #20 3pf Brown - Double Impression - Catalog Number And Value Please

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,680Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
584 Posts
Posted 07/27/2020   12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO just a dirty plate
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 08/26/2020   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FYI - This is a "Misplaced Entry"
Whatever you see is for sale, just email me an honest offer
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6228 Posts
Posted 08/26/2020   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From which reference material was this information obtained?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
584 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After taking a second (more like tenth) look at it, I think I see why you are saying it is a double impression. Extra ink spots match quite nicely with some existing features of the stamp when shifted. So, is this an additional impression? Possibly. Is this a double impression? I would say No (just my opinion). As Partime says it is probably more like a kiss or slip print. Does it add value to the stamp? Maybe, but in my opinion it actually decreases the value. You have to give somebody a 10 min presentation to explain to them that this is an additional impression and not just a dirty plate, and they may still not be convinced. I don't even know how you were able to deduce that in the first place.
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To me at least - it was easy to identify that the extra dots to the left of the ship matched the ship portholes in the original design. Then with the extra ribbon directly above the ships flag - I knew I had something amazing and something rare to investigate. It was rather a quick deduction after that - however, very difficult to demonstrate as scanning, layering, tracing, moving layers takes a lot of time.

Every stamp in every catalog I've seen rates double impressions higher in value that regular stamps. This raises the stamps value significantly. It may be a one of a kind.
Edited by souldjer777 - 03/04/2021 08:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5123 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   08:47 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
THIS. IS. NOT. A. DOUBLE. IMPRESSION.

PERIOD.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
537 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree this is a kiss imprint.
Michael Darabaris
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5936 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To little ol' me a double impression should not be a subject of debate. It should be readily apparent and indisputable.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5123 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   11:06 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To little ol' me a double impression should not be a subject of debate. It should be readily apparent and indisputable.

Agreed 100%.

You should be able to tell something is a double impression or kiss impression at a glance. It shouldn't require parsing individual ink dots.

For reference/comparison purposes, these are actual double impressions (sheet going through press twice) or kiss impressions (paper bouncing twice on the same pass). It's a semantic distinction, as the market treats double and kiss impressions as the same thing and major catalogs do not differentiate between the two forms:

Edited by revenuecollector - 03/04/2021 11:09 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
768 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last stamp pictured - Mr. Dewitt gives the distinct impression of suffering from a bad hangover.
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm settling with "Misplaced Entry". And yes these types of stamps require careful examination and aren't easily discovered.

https://re-entries.com/terms.html#mispl
Pillar Of The Community
675 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Once again, you start out with a double entry. As pointed out before and illustrated by revenuecollector, a double entry is when a sheet gets printed twice. In such case, unless 99% of the second attempt to print the sheet is with a dry plate and the guy inserting the sheet misses the guide marks by a huge margin, this causes a full doubling of the image and close to the original, not offset half the width of a stamp.

If you cannot get us to agree it is a double entry, you start to claim it is a re-entry. That also was pointed out to you causes a constant flaw on a plate and should occur on all stamps printed from the same plate in the same sheet position, not just on the ultimate sheet printed with the plate that found its way to you. Considering how far (almost half the width of the stamp) the re-entry is off-the-mark, the guy performing the re-entry and the quality control officer missing the huge mess the former made of his job must have been drunk and high as a kite to miss this. And thereafter, the whole board of the printing firm must have thought "meh!" for this to be a re-entry.

When you start posting links to websites to tutor us about re-entries, know what you are talking about. Re-entries do not shift half the width of a stamp.

Many people called it, it is a transfer from a sheet or part of the press that had a wet set-off image.

Quote:
Last stamp pictured - Mr. Dewitt gives the distinct impression of suffering from a bad hangover.

I suppose he performed the re-entry.
Edited by NSK - 03/08/2021 08:51 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5123 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   08:43 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think he's just making sh*t up as he goes along. We're being trolled.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5365 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, this is another example of a "one of a kind" rarity from a true believer.

There is no amount of evidence to the contrary that will alter this mindset.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6228 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And hence I'm sure it will be listed on eBay as some rarity that isn't mentioned in any reference material.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,680Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05