Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

T&t Doubles Of Handstamped Precancels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 311Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
22 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add precanceler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased the new War/Defense Cat, which is available on the PSS website and was amused to see Larry had listed stamps which carried doubles, inverts diagonals etc. on as many of the series as he could find or find out about. Now if you ask any of our PSS pundits they will respond that it is handstamp and not worthy of annotation of inv dbl or anything else. On the face of it I certainly can see their point, especially to one who is only collecting Towns and Types. But as in some cases those who are delving into a more concentrated collection might desire the information on those "oddities".
Personally I found myself becoming fond of Oakland 261 and 263 styles as well as the 61 styles with a 2nd precancel on it, does this classify as a double??? All of them so far that I have found had the original precancel on it and the printed dated from SRC or MW on it, but again nothing it mentioned in the DATED Catalog on these either.
Then what about stamp carrying 2 different styles, ( not dated ) or styles like I found this past week, on a 5c Christmas stamp with a solid Anamoose precancel and a MD precancel under it in red ink??

I want to say over the past several years and buying collections and accumulations I have pulled out doubles galore. So many I finally decided to house them right now on Vario pages in their own Binder. As yet have not included NYC or Chi but will soon, as I know I have some Chi triples too. I have been told by multiple collectors and pundits, that handstamp doubles could easily have been an over zealous clerk or a clerk doing as a favor for someone?? It is hard to disagree with their assessment. But they still exist however they were made and to me, worthy of attention and or collecting. With this having been said, I know 2 of our more senior fellows in PSS have been diligently working on a new Catalog of KS Prexies, including inverts and doubles and diagonals. Just one of many I was fortunate to add to their work.
Rambled on enough and will be happy to hear from any of you your thoughts on inclusion of these neglected precancels.
Stay safe everyone.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1146 Posts
Posted 07/27/2020   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In terms of "hand stamp precancels", I collect each type (up, down, double, etc.) BUT as they are applied by "hand" I do not believe varieties, other than a mis-spelling within the device, would have any additional value as the application of the precancel may have been "created" for a collector. I'm sure many will disagree -- especially those that want to make $$$.

Hal
PSS#8169
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add precanceler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree Hal, because they ARE Handstamps, they could be favored, or just a clerk fooling around. This is where I diverge a little from our PSS Pundits, because technically according to old USPS regs, Precancels were only supposed to be used on definitives and for mass mailings, brochures, etc. The only thing I do not know nor understand is how precancels got used on airmails?? I have not been able to find any reg on them?? However that being said, my question always falls back, regarding airmails, why arent they higher priced than a definitive with the same precancel. I would surely suggest that ANY airmail, minus C1-6, would be of limited use, say maybe 2 sheets precanceled. Just my spurious thoughts on some of the stamps we occasionally see precanceled, Altho as I mentioned SOME doubles, which are IHS or HS dated with doubles, seem to me SHOULD be included somewhere. And to make my point, in my library of catalog, I possess a copy of the 1981 Dated Cat. Remarkably it mentions and prices generally, Oakland, Calif Dbls both on Buro and local dbls. But the more recent Cats fail to mention them at all. Stay Safe ALL
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05