Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 35 - Alignment Of Perforation Wheels .

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 451Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
7199 Posts
Posted 07/24/2020   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Funny how printer proof readers back in the 1800's did not either care or as just under pressure to get a finished product to get out the door.

Took readings between perf edges with a screen ruler and was surprised the amount of bad alignment with reguards to perforations.

See the difference between this strip of Scott 35 stamps.

Robert

Now, knowing I do not consider myself a Small Queen expert by any means.
Look at the picture below...Am I lucky enough to own a strip of Scott 35ix...???

Send note to Staff
Edited by wert - 07/24/2020 10:58 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
556 Posts
Posted 07/26/2020   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No expert either, but while the teeth do show plenty of fibres, the perf holes show much less and, at least for Unitrade, it's the holes that matter most. Also I don't see "all or part of perf disc remaining." Others may know better, though.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
389 Posts
Posted 07/26/2020   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will try to cobble together a primer on these papers sometime in August. The paper you seek is quite rare on the 1c. To make matters worse, there are two distinct papers!
Pillar Of The Community
3332 Posts
Posted 07/27/2020   06:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since these perforators used perforating wheels that could be spaced from each other at any distances, stamps can be found with varying distances between rows of perforations from narrow to wide. The perforation misalignment shown in the strip above was mostly due to the stamp sheet being fed into the perforator off to the left so that the perforations appear to be shifted to the right.
Valued Member
389 Posts
Posted 08/25/2020   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I acquired these in a small collection. I thought the best way to demonstrate thick soft paper was to show the 1c (Unitrade 35ix) beside its cousin the 37i, the scarce but easier-found dark rose (really a carmine shade to my eye) on thick paper. I used a sharpening tool on the front image to better represent what my eye sees. Lighting is incident, i.e. side light as indirect as I can get it, from an incandescent bulb (it's midnight here).

The first identifier one sees is the incomplete cutting of perfs, as though the perforator tore through the paper without cutting. Note how the perforations are not round.

The print impression is sharp. The shade of a 35ix is typically yellow orange, not deeper.

The thick soft paper was typically used in horizontal grain orientation, thus you would expect curl to be top/bottom using the "breath test". By eye, the direction of grain is not obvious, and there are some ragged fibres at the surface obscuring the grain.

Cancels can help in determining period of use, note both the Wellington Ont. "Gothic T" and Charlottetown star cancels are contemporary to 1871 or 72.
Valued Member
389 Posts
Posted 08/25/2020   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Internal link to a similar thread:

http://goscf.com/t/72182
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 451Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05