Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

World Postal Stationery, Part 2

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 117 / Views: 6,337Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 04/11/2022   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
France: Offices in Zanzibar, 1896
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 04/24/2022   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would be more accurate to say "one of the world's first postal cards," since three different cards were issued in Austria-Hungary on 1 October 1869. The cards shown above are both examples of Austria #1 (I'm using Ascher's numbers; Higgins & Gage are the same, I believe). The defining characteristics of this card are the Austrian coat of arms and German text, including notes at the top and bottom of the back. These notes distinguish #1 from cards with an identical front that were issued in later years.

The other two cards issued on the same day are Hungary #1 and #2. Hungary #1 is identical to Austria #1, except that it has the Hungarian coat of arms on it, rather than the Austrian. Hungary #2 is identical to Hungary #1, except that the text is in Hungarian, rather than German.

I got a nice exemplar of Hungary #1 at WESTPEX yesterday. The dealer had several in one of his $5 boxes, but this was the earliest that I found, postmarked in Karlstadt (now Karlovac, Croatia) on 20 October 1869, only 19 days after the introduction of the postal card. The writer was requesting prices for cotton yarn from a firm in Vienna.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 04/24/2022   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stockholm: Stockholms Stadspost (local post)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 04/24/2022   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Germany, 1935 semi-postal postal card (Michel P256). The indicium depicts a girl in the Hitler-Jugend.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 04/28/2022   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kiautschou, 1900 (thus in Ascher's Großer Ganzsachen-Katalog and Wayne Menuz's "Postal and Letter Card Issue Dates" in Postal Stationery #416, but Michel says 1901)

Transvaal, 1900
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 04/30/2022   01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
French Guinea, 1893

Sainte-Marie de Madagascar, 1894
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 05/12/2022   02:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Benin, 1894

Great Britain ("British Empire"), 1889

Romania: Postal Ships in Turkey, 1896
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 05/16/2022   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
French Oceania,1892
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1428 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one arrived yesterday. I love this old style of design.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 05/29/2022   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They certainly had a great aesthetic sense back then. That's what inspired me to start my 19th-century one-from-everywhere collection.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 06/18/2022   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I finally got an unused exemplar of Austria #1 (1869):

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I already had Hawaii covered for my "One from Everywhere" collection, but I have a weakness for Hawaiian cards, and I was able to get these at a good price.

Hawaii (Kingdom), 1882 (Scott #UX2)

Hawaii (Kingdom), 1882 (Scott #UX3)

Hawaii (Republic), 1897 (Scott #UX9a)
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 117 / Views: 6,337Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05