Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Collecting Telegraph Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 449Next Topic  
Valued Member

Israel
61 Posts
Posted 07/26/2020   12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ashuber to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been considering starting at telegraph stamp collection, but am not knowledgeable about these types of stamps. The only guide I have is the 2017 Scott Specialized US Catalog.

What is the go to book or website about collecting telegraph stamps? Also are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Aaron
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
741 Posts
Posted 07/26/2020   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I recall George Kramer wrote a fine work on the telegraphs. An older work is entitled United States Telegraph Issues by Joseph and Stephen Rich. Somewhere in my library I think I have both, but I have not looked at them in many years.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
United States
616 Posts
Posted 07/26/2020   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert A Siegel Auctions sold a big collection of telegraph stamps about 5 years ago. The auction catalog is a good reference https://siegelauctions.com/sales.php?sale_no=1102(you probably want to download the .pdf file since it has information about the companies in section headings that are not contained in the on-line catalog's individual lot descriptions).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
632 Posts
Posted 07/26/2020   10:57 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7558 Posts
Posted 07/26/2020   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Rich work is a small green pamphlet that is easily lost on a shelf.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
632 Posts
Posted 07/27/2020   09:43 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to get a jump start on a collection check this out:

http://www.friedbergstamps.com/id66.html

Richard is very fair and I'm sure this collection is worth more than he's asking.
Valued Member
Israel
61 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ashuber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. There is a lot of material for me to go though here now. Once again Stamp Community Family comes though big time!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 449Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05