Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Society Of Philatelic Americans

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 15,554Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
4727 Posts
Posted 02/05/2012   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great nametag, RN.

Love the block lettering of the 1938 -- the entire top slab has an Art Deco feel to it.

Thanks for sharing,
Kirk

Oh, and Welcome to SCF
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
566 Posts
Posted 02/06/2012   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kehess to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The woman in their logo changes year to year. You really have to use your imagination in 1948 and 1953. What does a woman sitting on an anchor have to do with philatelly? Looks VERY uncomfortable!!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32527 Posts
Posted 02/06/2012   04:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what significance an anchor has
in iconography.

Beautiful name tag RN.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3076 Posts
Posted 02/06/2012   06:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great name badge!

The central image is from the design of the Cape of Good Hope triangles.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3710 Posts
Posted 03/08/2013   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found an envelope from the 1937 Convention (in Asheville), but mailed a year later with different stamps. The Cachet has a lovely representation of the Cape Stamp.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/08/2013   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another SPA cover example ... with a postage meter!

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/08/2013   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some more information I previously dug up about the now-defunct organization SPA (Society of Philatelic Americans) is at this link:

http://goscf.com/t/20348
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted 03/09/2013   12:09 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have an interest in philatelic historical trivia so may be able to share a few tidbits here. The SPA was originally the Southern Philatelic Association. It was founded in the late 1800's as a sort of counterbalance to the APS who had a majority of members from the 'Union' states. As time went by it grew and finally, sometime I think in the 1920's they changed the name to make it sound less regional.

It always was sort of a poor relation to the APS. I belonged briefly in the 70's then joined the APS. They had a nice little journal, circuit books, chapters and conventions but all on a smaller scale than the APS.
The SPA fell apart sometime I think in the 80's and if memory serves it was due to a financial scandal involving their circuit sales operation.

I also seem to remember something called the National Philatelic Society, based in South Carolina- they published 'National Stamp News' but always were a tiny group although they had big aspirations. Dont know what became of them.
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 09/29/2013   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davidray to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps1962 is completely correct. There was a scandal involving accounting and finance related to their circuit sales. My trace memory is that the organization went out of existence after a settlement was reached.
United States
1 Posts
Posted 03/05/2015   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add caricell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know this is an old post, but when I was about 16 years old (a teenage stamp dealer), I actually wrote a regular column for the SPA Journal.I've been out of stamps for about 40 years, but now slowly getting back into it. I was surprised to hear that the SPA is no longer in existence! Anyhow, if anyone on the forum collects United Nations Stamps, that's my current specialty. You're welcome to check out my site at www.unstamps.net . Thanks! Larry
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted 03/05/2015   9:58 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Larry thanks for the link- have bookmarked your page and will see if I can get an order your way!
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
763 Posts
Posted 03/06/2015   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bill Weiss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geez, in one way I hate to enter this discussion because it makes very clear that I am........OLD! I was an SPA member back in the 1960s-70s. It was an organization very similar to APS. Had it's own monthly journal, expert committee, Sales Division, annual conventions, etc. As best I can remember, there was something of a financial scandal involving the Sales Division, where a lot of money was unaccounted for, which I think led to the demise of the society.

Many prominent collectors were members of the SPA. One of the Presidents (who may have been in office at the time of the demise in the early 1980s) was Milton Mitchell, of Silver Spring/MD, who I knew for many years, meeting him in the early 1970s when we started working bourses in the DC/Baltimore area. His collection of the 3c 1861-68 was spectacular and it was sold in a single sale "name" auction by Siegel. The last time I saw him was the day that the verdict in the O.J. Simpson murder trial was read. All of our jaws dropped in disbelief (mine, my wife, Milton and his wife (Marion).

That's about all I can recall (about SPA)!.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
192 Posts
Posted 03/06/2015   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vinman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the cover of the last S.P.A.Journal. I picked this up at a club meeting last month.

Vince

Edited by vinman - 03/06/2015 12:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 03/09/2015   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like Bill Weiss, I'm old and was a member of the SPA back in the day. The organization suffered severe losses, financial irregularity and accounting problems with the sales circuits. A prominent dealer, who sold through the circuits threatened to sue the organization. The officers, realizing that the society was insolvent because of the sales liability took steps for dissolution through a process somewhat like a voluntary bankruptcy. As I remember, circuit book owners realized about 15-20c on the dollar for material sold through the circuits.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 08/14/2016   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rickyrocket to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know the name of the Society of Philatelic Americans (SPA) journal BEFORE it was called S.P.A. Journal from 1939 to it's last issue in 1983??

The society must have had an earlier publication and I'm specifically trying to find out what the name of it was during the years 1926 to 1936.

I sure appreciate any help anyone could provide. Thank you!
Rick
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 15,554Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05