Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Society Of Philatelic Americans

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 17,285Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7234 Posts
Posted 08/14/2016   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you get in touch with APRL, or do an online search of their library listings, you can probably find the title there.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1609 Posts
Posted 08/14/2016   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The SPA's predecessor organization, the Southern Philatelic Association, had as its "official organ" (as advertised in the American Philatelist in 1918) a publication called The Stamp Herald (AP, Vol XXXII, No 1, Oct 1918, p. 2).
Valued Member
71 Posts
Posted 01/20/2019   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add elmerfudd22 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i was trying to get info on this as well. I have an old spa certificate and wondered about the difference etween the spa and the aps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8295 Posts
Posted 01/20/2019   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Elmer - I see the application. Is there a certificate?
Valued Member
71 Posts
Posted 01/22/2019   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add elmerfudd22 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, this was rated a forgery, didn't get it all in due to size and under 200kb
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1106 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I would bump this ancient topic with a new cover I acquired.

Dan

Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
United States
877 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   12:18 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's such an incredible memento in so many ways. Awesome !
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1166 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like anything which died pre-internet, it is tough to find information until enough time passes so that documents can be digitized without a copyright issue. Perhaps the journals will eventually get scanned and posted.

In my 20's when first joining anything philatelic for information, I joined the SPA and sadly it quietly passe when I was still in my 20's. The death was very quite with folks tight lipped.

My SPA journals and documents were sent to the Western Philatelic Library 15-20 years ago.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5444 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   8:45 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Timely resurgence of this thread. At a small 1-day show today, a dealer had a large flat-rate priority mail box packed full of SPA ephemera: brochures, decals, show ribbons, correspondence, etc., going back to the turn of the century, along with about 40 SPA cacheted covers. It was just interesting enough to pique my curiosity, and it didn't break the bank. I don't know what I'll do with it other than image most of it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3402 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   07:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a possible exhibit.
Al
Valued Member
United States
41 Posts
Posted 01/31/2022   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dllimoges to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is really an interesting topic to me! I was a member of the SPA and was very familiar with many of its members. Most all of the members were in fact members of the APS as well. I actually wrote the club column for for the SPA Journal a few years when Bob Brandebury and Joe Sousa were key figures in the society (1970's). I may be able to help anyone that would like additional knowledge about the society.
United States
1 Posts
Posted 04/01/2022   01:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mouseman8 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have always had a suspicion that the old SPA Board of Directors received unfortunate (read that "Bad" if you must) but technically correct legal advise. Yes, there was a possibility that as Directors they could be held personally liable for the debts of the society incurred through the "financial illregularities" in the sales department. A very slim possibility, but a possibility nonetheless.

Fearing that they might loose their precious personal stamp collections in order to satisfy a legal judgement, they "ran for the hills" and quickly closed down the Society. As far as is publicly known, the perpetrators(s) were never identified, caught or prosecuted.

The full story needs to be investigated while those with first-hand knowledge of the facts are still alive
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3402 Posts
Posted 04/02/2022   06:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp collecting hobby is quite small and connected. Many were hesitant to turn in their friends and may impact themselves. Of course, this is behavior is not unique to stamp collecting. Many events are covered up for the good of the [insert an institution].

For example, when Regency Superior folded, it was not just a one man operation. Do the other employees include their employment on their resume? The owner was ASDA dealer of the year. That recognition disappeared rather than noted as removed as if never happened.

For example, one outcome of the Regency mess could have been a better hobby escrow policy for stamps submitted for operations.

Al
Edited by angore - 04/02/2022 07:30 am
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 17,285Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05