Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Microprinting On US Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,256Next Topic  
Valued Member

21 Posts
Posted 07/27/2020   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Carl20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a used Scott #5260 and half of the USPS microprint is in the red stripe (bottom of the letters). All of the letters should be in the white stripe of the flag. Is this normal for some microprinting to be out of the normal area of the stamp or could this be a counterfeit.

Thanks
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
570 Posts
Posted 07/27/2020   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is you stamp tagged? If not then a good chance it is a postal counterfeit. Also check the die cutting. Some suggestions can be found on page 1023 of the current Scott US Specialized.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2034 Posts
Posted 07/27/2020   9:21 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Mystic albums for my US collection. Would it be too much to ask that they provide information to users of their albums where the micro printing on these issues is to be found? I often have to stop and dig out my specialized. Why can't they include that in the write up on the facing page?
Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 07/27/2020   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Carl20 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The die cut is 9 1/2 which is correct for this stamp. I don't know anything about it being tagged.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3567 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why can't they include that in the write up on the facing page?

Why not send them the suggestion to add same design identification?

There is a dealer on eBay (TBR Stamps) that has a lot of summary images for all varieties) that you can save.
Al
Valued Member
140 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   11:33 am  Show Profile Check philatomic's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A picture would be helpful, but it sounds like what you have may just be a misregistration of the black color. Is the 'USA Forever' inscription at lower left similarly shifted? The left side of the 'U' should line up with the left end of the red stripes.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1351 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As angore suggests, look at listings from tbrstamps. He has at least 3 different 5260 counterfeits listed for sale along with fairly detailed descriptions of the differences. Scroll towards the bottom of his listings for the details.
Added: The counterfeits would have catalogue numbers 5260(CF1) thru 5260(CF3). You can find them in the Scott U.S. specialized at around page 1000 or thereabouts. My 2018 catalogue is too old to have these specific counterfeits, so you would need to consult a 2019 ... or, in a couple of months, a 2020.
Edited by JLLebbert - 07/28/2020 2:03 pm
Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Carl20 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a zoomed in photo of the stamp.

Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Carl20 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USA FOREVER is shifted.

Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Carl20 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The misregistration of the black color seems to be the problem since the USA Forever is shifted to the right and the microprint is also shifted to the right.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1351 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I think it may be a misregistration of the red rather than the black. From your photo, it appears to me that the USA does line up with the blue field of stars. Also, the red appears to encroach on that same blue field and the red stripes seem to extend beyond the same field of blue at the far left. But I do agree, a color misregistration appears to be the cause.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3091 Posts
Posted 07/28/2020   10:17 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"so you would need to consult a 2019 ... or, in a couple of months, a 2020." You mean 2021 -the 2020 came out last Fall.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1351 Posts
Posted 07/29/2020   02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eyeonwall: Yep, I meant 2021. For some reason, my mind seems to always be a year late when it comes to the Scott catalogue. I usually spring for a new one every 3 or 4 years and my 2018 has gotten rather worn from use. It's time for a new one.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,256Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05