Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France Parcel Post Unissued Stamps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 171Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 07/30/2020   04:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bmbmbm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got these recently, and they finally came today.

I think they're unissued France Parcel Post stamps from 1938, as I couldn't find a Scott# for them in these colors. My 2012 Scott C-F catalogue seems to have a footnote under Q145 that says "Two additional values, a 10c rose lilac and a 15c ultramarine were prepared with this set but not issued. Values, each stamp: $90, never hinged $150. Both stamps also exist imperf. Values, each $82.50; never hinged $150."

Do my stamps seem to be these unissued stamps? Both the 15c ones look the same blue color (I guess ultramarine). The 10 ones seem to have a slightly different color though. The perforate one seems like rose lilac, but the imperf one looks more pink. All stamps look MNH, though they do seem to have some slight bends. They all also seem to have mark on the back in approximately the same location. Is this a stamp expertizing mark? If so, which is it?

I don't have a more recent France catalogue, or a more specialized one. Are those values still valid?

Thanks

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2981 Posts
Posted 07/30/2020   05:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello bmbmbm,

As far as I can see Maury (2018) lists these as follows:

152A 10 lilas-rose Majoration - 180 - 110

- imperf - 160 - 100

152B 15 bleu Majoration - 180 - 110

- imperf - 160 - 100

where the prices here in euros are for unmounted mint (MNH) and mounted mint (MH) respectively.

The red ("lilas-rose") stamp has the note: Non emis pour cause de couleur non conforme. (Not issued owing to wrong colour)

I'm guessing this means the stamp should have been grey (as issued) rather than red.

The blue stamp has the note: Non emis pour cause d'intérpretation divergente des arrondis. (Not issued owing to differing interpretation of rounding.)

I believe these majoration (increase or mark-up) stamps were used when postal rates had changed so maybe the increase in this case should have been 20c as in the issued 20c purple ("lilas-brun") stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Nigel
Edited by nigelc - 07/30/2020 05:15 am
Valued Member
Romania
226 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   03:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Catalog Yvert-Tellier 2018 ed.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 171Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05